Adding rock

grantfoster02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add dry base rock to my established(ish) tank? Or would it cause something major? I’m close to ending my GHA battle (hopefully).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can I add dry base rock to my established(ish) tank? Or would it cause something major? I’m close to ending my GHA battle (hopefully).
You may get diatoms, but do add 1.5ml of liquid bacteria daily per 10 gallons for up to 2 weeks to help seed it

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is mined rock like Marco, it will have no phosphates. If you add a lot of it, and you don't have a lot of phosphate to spare, what is left will bind to the rock. Corals and all surface competitors (film algae, bacterial film, coralline, etc) will be compromised, potentially leading to dinos. Test your phosphate levels with a Hanna ULR checker.

OP
OP
G

grantfoster02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is mined rock like Marco, it will have no phosphates. If you add a lot of it, and you don't have a lot of phosphate to spare, what is left will bind to the rock. Corals and all surface competitors (film algae, bacterial film, coralline, etc) will be compromised, potentially leading to dinos. Test your phosphate levels with a Hanna ULR checker.
Phosphates are a .65

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back