Adding sand to established bare bottom

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently moved all my "stuff" from a 50 gal to a 100g. I moved all filters, bio-media, 95% of the water, everything. So it was basically like doing a very large WC, and is an established system. It's been bare bottom for almost 2 yrs and now, for a change, I'd like to add sand. All my reef tanks have been BB. I've never had a sandy bottom and I think it would be great to have some wrasses, a jawfish etc, for some interesting tank watching, What I need is advice on how to go about it. Since it's established, should I use, so called, "live sand" to help keep things in balance? I'm thinking dry sand would change things too much as it went through the various stages of cycling. The "Natural" sand from CaribSea which comes directly from the ocean, I think it's called "Oolite Original", is said to have the natural bacteria still alive in the sand. Or add dry sand slowly, like a few cups at a time every week or so. I don't want to risk losing some of my touchiest sps pieces doing this so if you know of tried and true methods for doing this I'd appreciate reading about it.
Thanks

jack_aubry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have only heard horror stories from either adding or taking away sand, but would be interested in hearing about peoples successes.

MCatano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do it, use your current tank water to rinse the sand and rinse it WELL! Do it during a large water change, when you pull the water out is the best time because it will cloud water and when you add new water back in it should help clear it up faster. Also do it slow and in small batches. Cup by cup of you can. It sucks but best way. Lower the cup to bottom of tank and dump it out. Watch skimmer after it will need cleaned with all the crap floating around.
Good luck

OP
OP
K

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have only heard horror stories from either adding or taking away sand, but would be interested in hearing about peoples successes.
Yes, that's exactly what I want to hear. Successful stories from people who had a great experience adding sand to their tank full of life!!! Please???

OP
OP
K

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But seriously, there must have been some people out there that have done this successfuly, no probs? How did you do it?

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it. I used live sand, as it was the only available sand locally. I forget which brand and size. I rinsed it alot to eliminate the fine sand. I used a hose. Then I let it dry out.
To put it in the tank, I used a 2 foot long, 3 inch diameter pvc piece. I put a flange on the top so i had a 4 inch diameter hole. Then cup by cup I added the sand. The pvc funneled it to the bottom with minimal sand storm. Other than ugly brown sand for a bit, it all went fine. I would do it again

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talk about how to add sand to an existing tank HERE.
That looks like a great way to get the sand into the tank. If I do it, I'll use something similar. What I'm more worried about is the effect of adding a possibly destabilizing substance into a tank with alot of live coral and fish.

OP
OP
K

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it. I used live sand, as it was the only available sand locally. I forget which brand and size. I rinsed it alot to eliminate the fine sand. I used a hose. Then I let it dry out.
To put it in the tank, I used a 2 foot long, 3 inch diameter pvc piece. I put a flange on the top so i had a 4 inch diameter hole. Then cup by cup I added the sand. The pvc funneled it to the bottom with minimal sand storm. Other than ugly brown sand for a bit, it all went fine. I would do it again
This was a tank with an established living reef ecosystem already in it?

OP
OP
K

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pre rinse the sand you buy to cloudless perfection and it can be added without causing any cycle or clouding

I'll have to read the thread later. It should be interesting. I was thinking live sand may help because it's already semi-cycled, but it's not supposed to be rinsed as that would wash the bacteria out.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a great way to get the sand into the tank. If I do it, I'll use something similar. What I'm more worried about is the effect of adding a possibly destabilizing substance into a tank with alot of live coral and fish.

I'd suggest do a little at a time. As example, put in 1/4 of the sand and observe for a day or so. If all is good, continue with another 1/4.....and so on.

OP
OP
K

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest do a little at a time. As example, put in 1/4 of the sand and observe for a day or so. If all is good, continue with another 1/4.....and so on.
I'd like to do it all at once but I think you guys are right about doing it slowly. I'd probably lose the bacteria in live sand, keeping an open bag of it between additions, but not sure about that. I could just add Microbacter 7 with each new addition of sand to compensate.

OP
OP
K

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do it all at once or spread it out over a period of time?

RezC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it before but not with live sand, just rinsed aragonite sand. Used a pic pipe that reaches the bottom of tank and a funnel to pour the sand in. Never had issues

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back