Adding sand to established bare bottom?

Mystersynyster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank I have questions about is a 75g bare bottom, mixed reef tank that I have had set up for almost 10 years now. I have been wanting to add sand to it for a couple of years now so I can have access to more fish and inverts, plus I love the look of it. My concern is that it will shock my coral and existing fish? I have had and still have plenty of sand bottoms, but never converted a bare to sand. I know it is really bad to go established sand to bare bottom, anyone have any advice or experience, maybe adding small amounts of sand over a long period?

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see a problem with it as long as the sand is added in small amounts incrementally. Also consider the size of the grains. Don’t go too small if you have a lot of flow.

OP
OP
Mystersynyster

Mystersynyster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see a problem with it as long as the sand is added in small amounts incrementally. Also consider the size of the grains. Don’t go too small if you have a lot of flow.
Right, Fiji pink all the way. Thanks man

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that,,,added sand to a bare bottom tank. The tank I currently have started out as a specie specific seahorse tank. I did a painted bare bottom to keep detritus to a minimum.

After the ponies' passed I wanted sand so I just added it and my coral were fine. Most of my coral were softies and gorgs but they did just fine.
20170817_203058.jpg
IMG_20230112_153219654.jpg

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It won't be an issue for your current specimens. Make sure you go with a large grain. I have a personal preference for Tongan Meso Flake, as I have 2 MP60's and 2 Gyres and it stays put. Rinse it first to get rid of the fines, and when you add it feed it through a length of 2" pvc pipe to deliver it to the bottom of the tank.

OP
OP
Mystersynyster

Mystersynyster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that,,,added sand to a bare bottom tank. The tank I currently have started out as a specie specific seahorse tank. I did a painted bare bottom to keep detritus to a minimum.

After the ponies' passed I wanted sand so I just added it and my coral were fine. Most of my coral were softies and gorgs but they did just fine.
20170817_203058.jpg
IMG_20230112_153219654.jpg
Nice, that is what I wanted to see

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The tank I have questions about is a 75g bare bottom, mixed reef tank that I have had set up for almost 10 years now. I have been wanting to add sand to it for a couple of years now so I can have access to more fish and inverts, plus I love the look of it. My concern is that it will shock my coral and existing fish? I have had and still have plenty of sand bottoms, but never converted a bare to sand. I know it is really bad to go established sand to bare bottom, anyone have any advice or experience, maybe adding small amounts of sand over a long period?
I did this with a 135g. I bought aragalive sand and cut a corner of bag and lowered it slowly into the front of tank and then pulled bag upwards. The corner cut serves as a funnel - go slow and there will be practically no mess
You dont have to go large grain as I added both sand and coarse grain

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't be an issue for your current specimens. Make sure you go with a large grain. I have a personal preference for Tongan Meso Flake, as I have 2 MP60's and 2 Gyres and it stays put. Rinse it first to get rid of the fines, and when you add it feed it through a length of 2" pvc pipe to deliver it to the bottom of the tank.
Adding it through a pipe is a great idea.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this with a 135g. I bought aragalive sand and cut a corner of bag and lowered it slowly into the front of tank and then pulled bag upwards. The corner cut serves as a funnel - go slow and there will be practically no mess
You dont have to go large grain as I added both sand and coarse grain
Cloudy at all? I take it no issues with any sort of spike with the sand being live/bacteria?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Adding it through a pipe is a great idea.
It allows you to place it precisely where you want it, without having to dump the whole bag at once and then spread it. You can target areas and even do sweeping motions.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cool. I’m about to add a bag of aragalive Fiji pink to my existing system. Already has some sand I just want it deeper. Was concerned about the “live” part
I make a small angle cut in the corner and fold it and lower to bottom and allow it to slowly flow out

Back