Adding sand to established tank

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 17, 2020
Messages
1,352
Reaction score
665
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently got a sea cucumber and just read that they eventually require a 50+ gallon tank to survive, planning on adding sand to my tank, i have alot already but will adding more maybe help the cucumber lice longer in current tank, he is fairly small so it will be a while before i have to move it.
 
I've never had a problem with it. You might have a mini ugly phase on the new sand as stuff fights for territory though.

If you wanted to avoid that you could use something like tbs live sand
 
Rinse the sand good and add it a little at a time and it shouldn't make a huge mess. I've done it.
 
I added a cup of live sand from addictive reef keeping a while back to add more bio diversity. A lot of people said not to, but I did anyway. The only negative was really cloudy water for a day or so. The hermits loved digging in the new to them sand!
 
Another trick: fill a large cup or bowl with sand and add water to the top of the bowl/cup and lower it to the current sand bed and slowly dump it with most flow turned off.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new