Adding tangs first?

Joiningsession

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 10, 2013
Messages
239
Reaction score
61
Location
Louisiana
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Newer tank cycled etc.. ready to start adding fish. I have already moved over my clowns and leopard wrasse which I’ve had for over a year. The last 3 fish I have to move over from older tank is my 3 tangs. Gem, yellow, and Kole.

My main question is it okay to add these 3 next? I have an order of 9 fish coming soon (no more tangs, just wrasses, cardinals, gramma, stuff like that) and though I paid for QT, would still like to monitor them in the old tank for a little while.

I’ve only ever added tangs last. But would like to get them in the new tank next if possible. Should this be an issue?
 
What size tank, and are your Tangs currently small, medium or large?
 
Personally, if they have been fine as tank-mates so far, I'd put them in, and they shouldn't be bothered by the new additions you plan to get in that size tank, any more than they pester (or ignore) the other fish you currently have. Those are my thoughts, anyway. Best wishes! :)
 
Newer tank cycled etc.. ready to start adding fish. I have already moved over my clowns and leopard wrasse which I’ve had for over a year. The last 3 fish I have to move over from older tank is my 3 tangs. Gem, yellow, and Kole.

My main question is it okay to add these 3 next? I have an order of 9 fish coming soon (no more tangs, just wrasses, cardinals, gramma, stuff like that) and though I paid for QT, would still like to monitor them in the old tank for a little while.

I’ve only ever added tangs last. But would like to get them in the new tank next if possible. Should this be an issue?
Be careful with the Kole and wrasses if you do add them first - I’ve had some nasty issues when adding wrasses after a Kole was established which caught me by surprise as usually tangs and wrasses don’t clash as badly.
Zebrasoma can also be quite dominant towards wrasses and butterflies (if you ever plan on them).
 
Personally, if they have been fine as tank-mates so far, I'd put them in, and they shouldn't be bothered by the new additions you plan to get in that size tank, any more than they pester (or ignore) the other fish you currently have. Those are my thoughts, anyway. Best wishes! :)
This was for the most part in line with my thought process too. The only difference is below:

Be careful with the Kole and wrasses if you do add them first - I’ve had some nasty issues when adding wrasses after a Kole was established which caught me by surprise as usually tangs and wrasses don’t clash as badly.
Zebrasoma can also be quite dominant towards wrasses and butterflies (if you ever plan on them).
Yea, the kole, I could always tell was the boss of the old tank without ever really showing it. My only worry with adding them before the incoming wrasses is the wrasses are more peaceful (Lubbocks, pintail fairy, mccoskers). I’d rather them be “somewhat established”
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new