Adding tangs tomorrow...how can I increase oxygen?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will do daily water changes. Add bottled bacteria. Maybe a dirty filter sock. Don’t worry about that. Usually copper kills most bacteria anyway, so you shouldn’t rely on bacteria to handle ammonia. I have 200 gallons worth of salt mix at home for emergencies like this. And buying more isn’t a problem.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is their any fish in the show tank now ?? Is the tank cycled and if you were planning on using the acclimation box in your tank the fish have to be drip acclimated to the water that’s in your tank before you can put them in the box .if you have in the past put fish int the box without acclimating that could be one reason you lost them in the past especially if parameters were way different . Where ever u wish to to put your new fish you have to acclimate slowly. When I acclimate I use a container big enough to handle the water from the fish or coral that I brought home and I put that container in a five gallon bucket . I put the drip line from the tank that I want them in to the container the fish or coral are in . I will drip acclimate for at least a couple hours .

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 8 fish in the show tank right now. They weren’t quarantined, but so far none show signs of ich. 4 clowns, diamond goby, banging cardinal, and 2 fire gobies.

I alsways acclimate fish prior.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that’s good , I always quarantine in a separate tank , water changes are my friend as I do a 10-15 % weekly . I’ve never used sea water myself . Outside of the things I’ve mentioned if your parameters are good and steady and the fish are healthy I don’t know why you would have problems . Naso tangs in my experience are pretty hardy and for me has always done well . As far as oxygen I’ve never had to do anything more than keep the skimmer going and weekly water changes . If you feel you need more oxygen you can add air stones or lift your return slightly out of the water . Also making sure you have good agitation on the surface of the water .i wish you good luck . Tangs are great in the reef tank .

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back