Adding TBS to existing Tank

SaltLife77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon fellow reef keepers!

We currently have a 40g breeder that has been battling Ostreopsis Dinos for about 5 weeks. We have finally, FINALLY beat them back about 85% of the way.....not without loss however.

Before the great Dino battle of 2022, we already needed to add more sand and more rock to our setup. Our tank was built about 5.5 years ago, using TBS's "the Package". With the intrusion of the dinos and the die off that happened, I fear a lot of the life that was in the sand has died back a bit, plus in "vacuuming the sand" to manually remove dinos, we lost actual sand. So, now that the dinos are somewhat at bay, we think it is time to infuse the tank with some additional life to help bring balance to the force if you will.

Any tips / thoughts for adding sand? We plan to QT the rock for a few days to eliminate any dangers to our Maxima clam.

Would love to hear thoughts/ suggestions from the forum. :)

Happy Reef Keeping!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just possibly rinsing the sand (not sure what kind you plan to use), turning all the pumps and wavemakers off and minimizing how much you disturb the existing sandbed.

OP
OP
SaltLife77

SaltLife77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just possibly rinsing the sand (not sure what kind you plan to use), turning all the pumps and wavemakers off and minimizing how much you disturb the existing sandbed.
I will be using TBS sand, and that is what I was thinking for the addition. Want to try to minimize disturbance.

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I have added sand I use a piece of pvc pipe with a funnel and pour the sand through the pipe that I hold just above the sandbed so it doesn't get into the water column. It's a hassle and best if you have a helper but has been the best method I have found for not getting the water all cloudy. I usually rinse the new sand first too.

Back