Adding two acanthurus tangs

Cmarez93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on the fence on getting two acanthurus tangs to add to my tank. One being a Powder Blue, and the other being a Gold Rim. My tank is a 300 deep dimension that has lots of open swimming space. If I were to drop the two in the tank at the same time would there be good chance of success or will it most likely end up with one of them killing the other?

ChaseB143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be fine, especially with a tank that size. That would be more likely to happen if you put them in separately.

OP
OP
Cmarez93

Cmarez93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other tangs involved? How about other large fish?

I do have another of other tangs. I have 2 yellows, 1 Scopas, 1 Purple, 1 Hippo, and 1 Tomini. The largest fish in the tank is a red tail trigger.

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a similar question earlier today about adding an acanthurus and a CBB. It seems to me from all of my reading on here is that even with all the tips and tricks (mirrors, adding multiples at once, acclimation boxes, rearranging rock, heavy feeding, chasing with net, adding after lights out, etc.) you still might end up with incompatible fish.

From your list of fish above I would give it a shot as it looks like you have a bunch of fish that will be distractions from the new additions and remember to use the "tips and tricks" as needed.

sabor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on the fence on getting two acanthurus tangs to add to my tank. One being a Powder Blue, and the other being a Gold Rim. My tank is a 300 deep dimension that has lots of open swimming space. If I were to drop the two in the tank at the same time would there be good chance of success or will it most likely end up with one of them killing the other?

you can do it. Acclimate them in at the same time and turn off the lights for 2-3 days. They should be fine if you have enough rock and swimming space.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The two added together are fine however I would be concerned about the yellow or purple showing welcoming aggression

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 50 34.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 38 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back