additional lighting to prevent shadowing

Mr. GoodStuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have a 2x2 cube with an Atlantik V4 Compact over it but would like to add some sort of supplemental lighting on the sides at an angle because I get some shadowing and areas that don't get covered well.

What would you recommend? I don't need anything super powerful as most of the corals in those areas would be low light corals however I would like to avoid anything that isn't LED. I was thinking about the Orphek light bars but even the smallest ones seem like they're a bit too long for the tank.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A "spread out" light bar...like a T5 or something would help to spread out the light throughout the tank.

Or, just use those dimmer areas to grow beautiful low-light corals.

OP
OP
Mr. GoodStuff

Mr. GoodStuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A "spread out" light bar...like a T5 or something would help to spread out the light throughout the tank.

Or, just use those dimmer areas to grow beautiful low-light corals.
Yeah that’s the goal, was going to put mushroom corals there but some areas don’t get much light at all so I’d like to add something small. It’s the rock against the overflow under the ledge.

2E58A14A-6AFE-4389-B6DC-BF01F64C5F51.jpeg

AMART0416

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have a 2x2 cube with an Atlantik V4 Compact over it but would like to add some sort of supplemental lighting on the sides at an angle because I get some shadowing and areas that don't get covered well.

What would you recommend? I don't need anything super powerful as most of the corals in those areas would be low light corals however I would like to avoid anything that isn't LED. I was thinking about the Orphek light bars but even the smallest ones seem like they're a bit too long for the tank.
Orphek icon (large one) bro.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek or similar LED strip.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a lower powered light as the fill light is not ideal imo. Reason is simple. A smaller fixture Is unlikely to provide as much intensity as your main lights. The corals are just as likely to be under illuminated.

In your case, I would get another compact and try out different arrangements.

Having low light corals in the shaded area is a great idea too.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Only 20" bars.

OP
OP
Mr. GoodStuff

Mr. GoodStuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a lower powered light as the fill light is not ideal imo. Reason is simple. A smaller fixture Is unlikely to provide as much intensity as your main lights. The corals are just as likely to be under illuminated.

In your case, I would get another compact and try out different arrangements.

Having low light corals in the shaded area is a great idea too.
Yes low light corals in those areas are the goal but my issue is the area pretty much doesn’t get any light. So adding a lower power light slightly at an angle to face that area would work well for low light corals. I can’t add a second compact as that wouldn’t make a difference because the light would travel straight down still not providing light to the area.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back