Additives for Zoas and Rics

ChrisP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12g Aquapod and change about 3 gallons/week with Red Sea Coral Pro ( with RO/DI water). I've got 90% zoas and rics in this tank. Any thoughts about additives? I've been adding some Tropic Marin Pro-Coral elements A&B simply because I've heard (anecdotally) that it causes zoas to "really open up." I've also read that zoas and rics need additions of iodine.

Chris

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add Iodine if your not testing for it, it can be a real pita if you over dose.....I really would add anything but suppliments to keep Ca and alk in check. I might also add mag if you find it drops and doesn't get back to normal levels with water changes....JMHO.

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep your Alk/Cal up with either a two part, kalk drip, or calcium reactor. And for the other chemical make up just do your routine water changes. The new salt mixed up will increase the other levels needed.

MUCHO REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with Azurel, without knowing the daily uptake of iodine in your tank and a very relaible test kit, I wouldn't dose. Once iodine saturation is reached, mortality sets in quickly.

"I really would add anything but suppliments to keep Ca and alk in check. I might also add mag if you find it drops and doesn't get back to normal levels with water changes....JMHO."

The above is good sound advice.

Like Sea Munnkey, I live by SeaChem Reef Plus(Amino Acid) ..... it's good stuff, in conjunction with water changes which I do every 3 weeks now instead of 2 weeks. With a heavy bio load, I would go with every other week, but that's just my opinion.

Mucho

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey SeaMunkey and Mucho how much and how often do you use the Reef Plus? I have some but don't use it...YET that is.. ;)

MUCHO REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add it every 3 days, roughly twice a week. Creetin also speak very highly of it.

Mucho

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add Lougal's every so often, along with the Seachem Reef Plus. I've stated to play with the Vit C a little bit as well, but that requires multiple doses every day.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmm... I thought I got pretty much shot down on the C dosing here.

Huh? I have actually been reading allot of what you have been doing and been actually going to try it myself. I just get lost in the big RC threads you wrote. :D

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aha, well glad to hear that. If you have been following the RC thread though, you'd know we aren't using the pills anymore. We also figured a new chart & it seems we haven't been dosing very much at all:
For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC
10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC
15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC
20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC
25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC
30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC

Although, since doubling my dosage to 2tsp (8900mg) or a bit over 20ppm, my blue stag is starting to bleach. None of my other SPS seem to be suffereing though. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or not but I'm going back to 1/2 that dosage.
BleachingBlueStag.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 63 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 51 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back