Ading marco rock safe or not.

blesk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I runing me tank well overe two years , curently aim loking tu upgrade lightning and was wonder iff is save fore me tank tu add nothre 25 pounds of marco rock (vona change scape litle ) i have plenty off live rock in me tank olready and was wonder iff is ocna be safe fore me fish and corals thanks fore the respond , me tank is 90g rimles tank vith 20 g sump .

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With an established tank you should be fine. To be safe, I would add a small amount at a time to allow your biological and mechanical filtration to keep up with any die off. You could also put it in a tupperware for a couple weeks with a bit of flow and perform a few water changes. If you add it in small quantities to the tank over a few week, you may notice a small spike in your parameters, but it shouldn't be enough to cause any problems.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldnt be any die off with Marco rock.... I know they say it's totally cured but I have read reports of po4 levels increasing after using it.... So I would say your safe but you might exp a algae bloom or high levels of po4 at the worst case scenario from my experience.... I always use marco in all my tanks keeps it clean and pest free...;) actually got 70lbs for my new cube "hoping to start cycling in the next few days" if your adding it to a established tank with established rock I don't see any problems personally....

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This brings up the question of whether you're talking about the "Key Largo rock" base rock or the "Signature Fiji" live rock available at Marco Rocks. The live rock will have a bit of die off, but the base rock won't. I recently added about 30 pounds of Marco base rock to my 180 and noticed a slight increase in PO4, but nothing huge.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 57 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back