Adjusting an aquatec psw and booster pump with asov

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am trying to dial in my rodi. Since I am on a well my pressure fluctuates between 30-50 psi so I have a booster pump and psw I added. Well the system already has an asov and it seems either the asov or the psw trips, never both. So I'm either starving the pump of water or continuing to just trickle water though. Any one ever battle this before? There is also a pressurized storage tank for drinking ti, but that's after a check valve.
20200409_103129.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where, in line, did you run your pump. And, forgive my ignorance, what is an asov and psw? Also, looking at your accumulator tank. it is not plumbed properly. There needs to be a "T" at the top, otherwise the pressure is just pushing against the feed, if I'm not mistaken. Basically, your system is battling the tank or, another way to put it is your tank is just pushing on the check valve stalling it out, as best I can tell. I could be wrong. If you could draw out a diagram, with labels, that would make it easier to diagnose.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where, in line, did you run your pump. And, forgive my ignorance, what is an asov and psw? Also, looking at your accumulator tank. it is not plumbed properly. There needs to be a "T" at the top, otherwise the pressure is just pushing against the feed, if I'm not mistaken. Basically, your system is battling the tank or, another way to put it is your tank is just pushing on the check valve stalling it out, as best I can tell. I could be wrong. If you could draw out a diagram, with labels, that would make it easier to diagnose.
Pump is feeding into the first sediment canister. Asov is auto shut off valve and psw is the booster pump pressure switch. I'll try to draw a diagram, but the ro tank and drinking water is the one thing I know is correct. The tee is the middle fitting all the way on the left top. The membrane has a tee..one goes to asov then do, the other side of the tee goes through the psw, then check valve, then tee which goes to drinking faucets and pressure tank. The tank is only for drinking water, not di.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200413_194159.jpg

Fast flush and ro flush
20200413_194136.jpg

60psi... waste water pressure after membrane
20200413_194122.jpg

To ro
20200413_194114.jpg

Psw
20200413_194101.jpg

Asov and ro flush

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if that's the case maybe a bad ASOV... so long as you have it set up per the diagrams.... Not clear as to how the pump can get starved of water as it is the first link in the puzzle fed by your line side supply.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if that's the case maybe a bad ASOV... so long as you have it set up per the diagrams.... Not clear as to how the pump can get starved of water as it is the first link in the puzzle fed by your line side supply.
Your right... happened again right now. It's not the pump, but the psw switch that's getting starved. The asov shut off, and so there was no water to the membrane or after it to build the 40 psi to shut off. I tried adjusting the psw pressure down but it doesn't seem to change. Not sure which way to turn but I went a couple turns in both directions and no change.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right... happened again right now. It's not the pump, but the psw switch that's getting starved. The asov shut off, and so there was no water to the membrane or after it to build the 40 psi to shut off. I tried adjusting the psw pressure down but it doesn't seem to change. Not sure which way to turn but I went a couple turns in both directions and no change.
Did you try taking the psw out and run it with out? Just trying a process of elimination.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try taking the psw out and run it with out? Just trying a process of elimination.
Yes, then the asov works and shuts the water off, but pump never stops since it needs the psw to trip.

Only thing I did notice is the tank is precharged to 100 psi. There's a check valve, but I'm assuming since the pump is only at 80psi its trying to still fill the tank? If I shut the water valve to the ro drinking side, the asov and pump do both stop within about 10 seconds of each other. Is the tank bladder pressure the issue?

EDIT: not precharged to 100psi, max is 100 psi. I will need to check the precharge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@P-Dub Thanks for the back and forth discussion, it truly helped a bunch. It raised some different questions about pressure and pressure drop, and I believe I found the answer.

It appears that I'm not building enough pressure in the right spot. I need to build 40 psi on the ro out side to trigger the pump psw off, but my understanding is that I'm dropping to much pressure by the time it hits the ro side. My incoming is 30-50 with the booster pump at 75 into the canisters. Im sure the canisters have a pressure drop, and I'm seeing a pressure of 60 at the membrane waste. I can't imagine that im really getting 40 psi at the ro out, which I think the asov needs 30 and psw needs 40. I'll need to test this tomorrow, but I think I need to move the booster pump to the membrane feed, so I'm feeding the membrane itself at 75 psi, increasing my permeate pressure. I will also check to ensure the tank pressure is actually 5-7psi when empty.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@P-Dub Thanks for the back and forth discussion, it truly helped a bunch. It raised some different questions about pressure and pressure drop, and I believe I found the answer.

It appears that I'm not building enough pressure in the right spot. I need to build 40 psi on the ro out side to trigger the pump psw off, but my understanding is that I'm dropping to much pressure by the time it hits the ro side. My incoming is 30-50 with the booster pump at 75 into the canisters. Im sure the canisters have a pressure drop, and I'm seeing a pressure of 60 at the membrane waste. I can't imagine that im really getting 40 psi at the ro out, which I think the asov needs 30 and psw needs 40. I'll need to test this tomorrow, but I think I need to move the booster pump to the membrane feed, so I'm feeding the membrane itself at 75 psi, increasing my permeate pressure. I will also check to ensure the tank pressure is actually 5-7psi when empty.
Try also to adjust the switch pressure. I believe that the adjustment screw is not super sensitive, depending on the make and model. I wouldn't think there would be a 20 psi loss through the canisters. It is a closed system and if it really was dropping any appreciable amount you would be seeing a leak. It also could be a faulty switch. Sorry about the late reply. Another thought, how old is the membrane?

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try also to adjust the switch pressure. I believe that the adjustment screw is not super sensitive, depending on the make and model. I wouldn't think there would be a 20 psi loss through the canisters. It is a closed system and if it really was dropping any appreciable amount you would be seeing a leak. It also could be a faulty switch. Sorry about the late reply. Another thought, how old is the membrane?
Haven't had to much time to play yet, but I did find the tank bladder had no air in it, so I pumped it up to 8 psi. I will run it and see what happens.

abbypoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a booster pump and permeate pump and having trouble with my pressure switch. It seems that the pressure switch cuts the pump like it should when pressure is reached but shortly after the permeate pump clicks and drops pressure in the line causing the booster pump to turn on to complete a cycle. It will do this loop forever.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a booster pump and permeate pump and having trouble with my pressure switch. It seems that the pressure switch cuts the pump like it should when pressure is reached but shortly after the permeate pump clicks and drops pressure in the line causing the booster pump to turn on to complete a cycle. It will do this loop forever.
I dont have a permeate pump, just booster with pressure switch and ASOV valve. I found I had to lower the pressure switch shut off pressure a tiny bit (kick OFF at a lower PSI) to fix my issue, so the pump would stop and then as the last little bit of pressure built up without the pump on, it would trigger the ASOV. I am not sure how it would work with the permeate pump.

Back