Adjusting IO salt

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to the hot pink(usually one drop difference between purple and pink) color, it match's the hanna pretty closely.

Just curious why you say to stop at the lavender color?
The first post in the thread explains why the lavender is the correct end point. Plus the Aqua Forest gives the same result, they include a reference solution to confirm.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine right away, I think, except perhaps with a test like the Hanna which is not an actual titration, but they did tell someone it will work for CaCO3/Co2 effluent where the pH is also low.

Calcium may be Ok too. My only thought in the calcium kit is that the first step is some kits is to raise pH and precipitate magnesium hydroxide. if that is the type being used, and the pH raising is inadequate due to excessively low pH, then it may read false high by detecting some magnesium.
I’m mixing fresh saltwater. I just added the salt to the mixing container (I use a special calculator that tells me exactly how many grams and it’s very accurate and precise).

My brute is testing 1.025 which is my goal, but the water is still cloudy since I just poured the salt in about 10-15 minutes ago.

Is it safe to test Alk and then dose the acid so I can sleep while the Ph rises again, or will alk show a different reading once the salt bucket clears?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m mixing fresh saltwater. I just added the salt to the mixing container (I use a special calculator that tells me exactly how many grams and it’s very accurate and precise).

My brute is testing 1.025 which is my goal, but the water is still cloudy since I just poured the salt in about 10-15 minutes ago.

Is it safe to test Alk and then dose the acid so I can sleep while the Ph rises again, or will alk show a different reading once the salt bucket clears?
I asked Randy a similar question and he said it’s probably best to add at the start of the mix.
The IO target manufacturing levels are not public.

Right! I was starting to think I was going crazy not being able to find the answer!

Strange they do that tho.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aerating overnight is a good plan. If there is undissolved material that dissolves, alk may rise a bit.

You cannot aerate the acid/water mix before adding salt.

Back