ADMIT IT: What is the most insane, craziest thing you have ever done in the hobby?

Have you ever done something crazy in this hobby that's embarassing to admit?

• Yes and I'll tell you in the thread..

Votes: 74 30.0%
  • Yes but I won't say...

Votes: 87 35.2%
  • No....

Votes: 83 33.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

The1HunnT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh so many despite having many fish; reefs are just a lot more complex.

I had to learn to do the RO routine for my first 75 gallon w/20 gallon sump reef tank.

I have a 35 gallon Brute in our spare room and run a hose through the window to fill it for major water changes every 2-3 weeks (20-30 gallons).

My RO system is great but slow so it takes a workday to fill the Brute. I started a batch when I got home from work and passed out—for the night (accidentally).

Thank god I woke up really thirsty and went to the kitchen at 4am because water was leaking from under the door! We have wood flooring and half the room was wet though I think only two gallons or so overflowed.

Needless to say I have an RO alarm now and always use it. .

The1HunnT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that’s an easy one. It happened to me two nights ago. I stacked a 5 gallon container on top of another one behind the freshwater aquarium stand. It fell over in the middle of the night and knocked over the canister filter disconnecting the hose. This was the end result.

4C22F400-293C-4B3C-8947-5BB46F966C90.jpeg
I have to say that doesn’t look that bad. A few gallons covered my room’s entire floor. Though it also looks like such a pain—that I’ve gone through. Solidarity!

The1HunnT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, 50 gallons in a Rubbermaid bucket on casters. Casters broke, so 50 gallons now in my basement, ventilation, practically destroys my wife’s wedding dress, destroyed all the basement’s drop ceiling, etc etc
This sounds horrible! May I ask how it ruined the drop ceiling? Humidity? I can’t imagine 50 gallons, I’d die.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best I can think of at the moment is the fact that for some reason I just cannot keep anemones alive. I have ideas, but not quite sure. Like seriously I have an elegance, but anemones just don't work for me. The first one died due to my impatience and nitrate issues, second was that the elegance stung it like crazy, I don't remember what happened to the third, and the fourth was eaten by the anemone shrimp! I think God is trying to send me a message, and banging his head on the wall every time I think I am ready for another go.

Hermorah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to acclimate a yellow tail and a four stripe damsel from 1.010 salinity to 1.025 in an afternoon. Five hours in, at 1.020 the yellow tail is white, upside down and barely breathing. I quickly start googleing and finally find a source that says to acclimate over a few days. I quickly add RODI water and lower the salinty to 1.016 and save the four striped one. After that I swore to the dead body of that fish, that this will never happen to any other fish ever again. Your death will not be in vain.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I remember one: I actually considered following my mom's suggestion to get a tiny yellow tang for a past algae problem. Keep in mind I have a twenty gallon. High. I think it might have worked very temporarily, like a quarantine, then it would've had to be returned. But the algae would've probably just come back so not sure what would have happened if I did follow through.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 65 32.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back