ADMIT IT: What is the most insane, craziest thing you have ever done in the hobby?

Have you ever done something crazy in this hobby that's embarassing to admit?

• Yes and I'll tell you in the thread..

Votes: 74 30.0%
  • Yes but I won't say...

Votes: 87 35.2%
  • No....

Votes: 83 33.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has no one actually managed to get their fingers in between magnets? Man, I am so prone to that. I constantly forget that I am holding one and then figure I can put it in the same hand as another. Sooooo much pain!!!

I have Tunzes and these magnets are strong. Got one on my hand stuck (it caught a section of flesh on the bottom palm. My poor 12yr old daughter hears me cussing and screaming (something she has never seen) and I am instructing her how to help get the magnet off. Had a big nasty bruise and sore for weeks.

Thankfully, I am very careful with my Mighty Magnet. I am pretty sure I would be in hospital if I got my fingers in that one.

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Overflowing a 10 gallon ATO container overnight as I passed out while filling it. Around 40 gallons of water were spilt.

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has no one actually managed to get their fingers in between magnets? Man, I am so prone to that. I constantly forget that I am holding one and then figure I can put it in the same hand as another. Sooooo much pain!!!

I have Tunzes and these magnets are strong. Got one on my hand stuck (it caught a section of flesh on the bottom palm. My poor 12yr old daughter hears me cussing and screaming (something she has never seen) and I am instructing her how to help get the magnet off. Had a big nasty bruise and sore for weeks.

Thankfully, I am very careful with my Mighty Magnet. I am pretty sure I would be in hospital if I got my fingers in that one.

I still bare those marks...

dsfrhg.jpg

mayday0237

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some corals up for sale on a famous website. Early one morning I got a text for a picture of the colony. I was home alone so I hopped out of bed, grabbed my I-phone to get the picture of the tank. I stood in front of the tank and was working the focus to get the best shot ( it's a big colony) and didn't notice that my image was caught in the reflection in the picture before I sent it.

It was a fantastic photo but I never heard back from the buyer?

Edit: Pajamas? Sure. Like something out of "The Emperor's New Clothes" closet.
Omg...epic

mayday0237

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tahitian moon sand... insanity is doing the same thing over and over again for a year....I'm sick about some of the amazing fish we lost...but our pumps, uv, media, lights, 4 skimmers, and who knows what else we replaced thinking "this has to be why"... Led to an amazing tank now.
Also I'm very far sighted and all the little tiny words on the directions for vibrant are apparently easy to misread I think we calculated it over by 3x at least...I didn't sleep for 2 days worrying I killed the stable tank after all that.
Another gem that I'm a bit embarrassed of...we searched for marijuana grow lights to use for our sumps and fuge they are cheap and work great...
I was dumb enough to think that a electric blue cleaner wrasse actually eradicated ich....I have since made sure that he gets teenytiny yummies in the feedings so he stays healthy and happy.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pains me to admit but my very first saltwater tank was a ten gallon and it was the most overstocked tank in the world. I was I believe 8 at the time and I thought the guy at the store my dad took me to was giving me all the right info. Here's the stocking for that ten gallon... 2 oscellaris clownfish, banggai cardinal, firefish, clown goby, court jester goby, tailspot blenny, orchid dottyback, flame angel, scooter blenny, a very young snowflake eel, pompom crabs, multiple hermit crabs, cleaner shrimp, and I am sure I am missing stuff. Don't hate younger me I already hate him lol

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pains me to admit but my very first saltwater tank was a ten gallon and it was the most overstocked tank in the world. I was I believe 8 at the time and I thought the guy at the store my dad took me to was giving me all the right info. Here's the stocking for that ten gallon... 2 oscellaris clownfish, banggai cardinal, firefish, clown goby, court jester goby, tailspot blenny, orchid dottyback, flame angel, scooter blenny, a very young snowflake eel, pompom crabs, multiple hermit crabs, cleaner shrimp, and I am sure I am missing stuff. Don't hate younger me I already hate him lol
Holy cow

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the stupidest thing I have done ,, the wife might argue this ,, I had a Yellow Tang die in the tank ,, I could have disposed of it in numerous ways ,, gave it to the neighbors cat ,, threw it in the woods ,, carried it out to the trash can ,,, but not me ,,

I felt it was appropriate to carry it into the bathroom and flush it down the commode ,,, dang thing went down backwards and got its fins caught right at the start of the plumbing pipe under the commode ,, had to call the plumber to pull the commode so we could get the fish out ,,, the wife couldn't help herself ,, she had to tell everyone in town that would stand still for 5 min and listen to her ,,, we live in a small town , at least it was back then ,,

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once took out one of the bedroom windows, to get a bigger tank in my room. Installed a large enough door in place of the window afterwards.
then one of the return lines from the same tank came loose from the pump, and shot up about 50g of saltwater from the sump, on to my carpet in the middle of the night, I didn’t wake up till the pump started making really loud gurgling sounds.

genetao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that’s an easy one. It happened to me two nights ago. I stacked a 5 gallon container on top of another one behind the freshwater aquarium stand. It fell over in the middle of the night and knocked over the canister filter disconnecting the hose. This was the end result.

4C22F400-293C-4B3C-8947-5BB46F966C90.jpeg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back