ADMIT IT: What is the most insane, craziest thing you have ever done in the hobby?

Have you ever done something crazy in this hobby that's embarassing to admit?

• Yes and I'll tell you in the thread..

Votes: 74 30.0%
  • Yes but I won't say...

Votes: 87 35.2%
  • No....

Votes: 83 33.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only buy corals when there is a “sale”. $10-$20 even if she sees 3 bags in the water ;)
I do that as well now. I also created another g mail just for shipping confirmations and tracking. If she ever finds out and gets mad I will point out that at least its not for Tinder

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do that as well now. I also created another g mail just for shipping confirmations and tracking. If she ever finds out and gets mad I will point out that at least its not for Tinder
If you really want to get creative, take cash and purchase a pre paid visa gift card. The LFS takes cash as well ;)

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really me but when I moved in with my husband he had this god awful tank that he wasn't taking care of properly that just looked awful. There was this big brown spindly looking anemone. I mean huge. He didn't know it was a pest aiptasia and just thought it was a free anemone. I had been feeding the thing frozen brine shrimp for months! I actually saw him place an entire cube of mysis shrimp in the anemone. The tank was utterly covered in aiptasia. And algae. It was awful.

I guess it was crazy of me to take out 90% of the water, scrub every rock clean and all the sand and buy new equipment all in one day while it still had a few fish and coral. But I just couldn't look at it anymore. That was my intro into this hobby.
Crazy?!? Crazy awesome maybe!!!

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where to start lol!!! very recently i had a leaking tank connector/bulk head. The tank is a bottom drilled tank. I decided to change the bulk head live while the tank was active.. The thread of the tank connector was a mess so it took ages to take the nut off causing more water to pour out. I have water going everywhere, my 13yr old daughter trying to redirect the water into the return pump section and back into the DT, The new bulk head was too big to fit into the pre-drilled holes lol so i had to plug the hole, buy new fittings that ended up working but being too short so i couldn't connect a hose to it that goes into the sump (emergency over flow). I ended up taking it back out again the next day, flooding everywhere and re-using my old fittings, the chewed up ones!! .
My tank is on 2ft stand and is 2ft high so i couldn't reach inside the tank and underneath it. So my daughter was the only on hand to be my handy person... the wooden floor was flooded and is now bowed in a couple of places. In the end i've ended up using the same tank connector and just replacing the nut LOL!! it was a joke, even the spare nut i did have i broke but lucky enough i had spares. I've tried to keep the post short and to the point. worst decision EVER....

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do all the time ,, I have never been embarrassed by any of them though ,, this is the one hobby where you can't throw stones ,, so much to learn ,, even the Pro's I think learn something all the time ,,

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Attempted to Relocate my brand new tank 65 gal
With a friend while there was still about 20 gal of water and sand in it,,bumped it into my countertop and chipped the seam,,, live and learn

Ms14T.Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had accidentally added too many brie shrimp to my Hogchokers tank well when I returned almost two hours later ALL the snails were out and crowded around the shrimp ‍♀️ I attached pics of Clarks

13988863-FEAD-471E-8D79-499C44F2B0B3.jpeg FF68417A-431F-4600-9F5B-A78810F33E41.jpeg

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting started in the first place? One of the dumbest things I think I did was I didn't use my hose clip during a water change I had the hose pop out of the bucket. I didn't notice right away since the hose popped out to the opposite side I was standing on. It was a good thing I was in bare feet though, because suddenly I was standing in squishy carpet. I had siphoned out about 10 gallons of nastiness from the sand bed right into the carpet.

Gw2kpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ONCE! and only once I told my wife I had just bought a 120.00 coral. That was the real price that I paid and I was young and naive and thought honestly was the best policy with my wife with whom I had been married for 3 years at that point. Now at 16 years I know better and she still gets curious when the clear bags in boxes show up. Not cause she is excited but I think its because she is looking for a receipt. Did you know some retailers will write you up a wife friendly receipt if you ask They dont laugh or anything I think its common practice.
I'm gonna need the name(s) of those retailers. :)

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my RODI pumping a few months ago into a 32G Brute can and fell asleep.... must I really say anymore!
I’m just thankful my garage has the slightest slope leading out.
Best thing is, my wife never noticed it! She probably would’ve grounded me or limit my funding.

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first tank I had (no idea how to do it, and didnt hardly research) 20g breeder with a crap light no skimmer, or enough live rock. 2 weeks after setting it up I buy 5 decent size colonies of zoas/pali and an anemone. The entire tank crashed in 2 days everything dead... I decide to clean it out without gloves and a cut on my finger. Legs were paralyzed the next day, called the lfs asked them if it was possible if the things were related he said laughing " um yeah... the good news is, if your not dead your not going to be at this point."

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only buy corals when there is a “sale”. $10-$20 even if she sees 3 bags in the water ;)
Lol I just recently started fragging a soso colony so she sees I make frags and tell her they are to trade for other ones. So now I either throw away a head of fire and ice or give it to the random person I am buying the expensive frag from.

dough

Reefing since '95
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I resemble a lot of these posts.

I have yearly awards for letting the RODI flood the garage and sometimes letting it run down the driveway!

Not saying no to people that want to give me free frags of corals I don't want.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't decide between two embarrassing dumb, dumb issues.

Years ago I built a 5' tall 6" diameter skimmer that worked great, but it fell over three times displacing the water in the room then draining downstairs. It stunk the house up too !
Lesson I learned, ANCHORE It !

Second. I bought a brand new 93g cube. I asked a neighbor to help me bring it into the house. I removed the storm door to be safe. I told him to go slow, but he just forces me back so fast that I dropped my end of the tank and CRACK....it broke the bottom glass.

Lesson I learned, two fold. Put a rug, cardboard, etc, on the doorway then slide the tank into the house !

And, don't ask a hyper person to help move anything that is fragile !

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, just reading these brings back so many memories .
Idk that there's one specific most embarrassing but as I've gone through this list I just keep checking off boxes mentally.

As a note to anyone who hasent installed rodi floats.. all you need is one float valve on the clean water side installed in something (a piece of acrylic, wood, PVC sheet etc) larger than the
Largest container is accross or even an extra bucket lid if you use 5gals.. then you set the autofiller on across the rim and can walk away ;)
I've explained this to many locals and even lfs that have now switched to the method :)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back