ADMIT IT: What is the most insane, craziest thing you have ever done in the hobby?

Have you ever done something crazy in this hobby that's embarassing to admit?

• Yes and I'll tell you in the thread..

Votes: 74 30.0%
  • Yes but I won't say...

Votes: 87 35.2%
  • No....

Votes: 83 33.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've also overfilled my RODI container. Luckily It was not a huge amount and my RODI is in my basement on tile floors. Now I set reminders in Alexa whenever it is running to remember to check it.
I do this with Google. 6 hours of rodi running over the trash can. It's in an Unfinished basement portion. Just run the dehumidifier. No I always set alarms.
I had some corals up for sale on a famous website. Early one morning I got a text for a picture of the colony. I was home alone so I hopped out of bed, grabbed my I-phone to get the picture of the tank. I stood in front of the tank and was working the focus to get the best shot ( it's a big colony) and didn't notice that my image was caught in the reflection in the picture before I sent it.

It was a fantastic photo but I never heard back from the buyer?
I just died laughing.

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my zoanthids had an air pocket growing in it and I assumed it was a bacterial infection. I did some research and found that vitamin c was good for zoanthids so I dosed emergen-c in my tank for a few days. Funny thing is that it worked and then I switched to a reef vitamin supplement.

eric.battani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well probably the second worse thing was use play sand from Home Depot in my tank when I first gotten into the hobby. It had so much clay in it that I took about a month for it to settle down, at least what I couldn’t filter out. And the worst thing, well I’ll keep that to myself for now

Rocketmandb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the hobby for 40 years and have done just about every bone-headed thing you can imagine.

That is why I now have this science experiment in the basement area under the tank:
IMG_0580.JPG

EDIT: Now I can't use this area to store anything iron-based.

Gary Barrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my first tank, I had heard of putting one raw shrimp in to feed the bacterial cycle. But I saw a salmon head at the store for cheap so thought more is better, right? And of course started this right before I left town for a week, you know so that the tank will be ready when I got back in town. Not only did I come back to a totally disgusting sesspool, the salmon grease had made my fitting leak which emptied a bunch of water through the floor into the basement. Surprisingly I was somehow able to recover, and the wife didn’t make me sell the whole setup! A good lesson to never change anything a few weeks before leaving town, which I still struggle to follow that rule.
1EAE950C-ADAC-4442-AC27-15820ABE1284.jpeg

B7Joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my FW days I had a 55 with a couple of bulkheads near the bottom for a set of canister filters and I thought (for no good reason whatsoever) that it would be a great idea to attempt to change the outlet tubing from clear to black. All this while working in a cramped location, basically on my back under the stand. No surprise that I managed to dump several gallons of water onto our new laminate floors. Didn’t even attempt the second one, and so I had one clear tube and one black one for years, as a constant reminder of my stupidity that day. :(

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do things sometimes that we're not exactly proud of and sometimes pretty embarrassing! But they sure can help others in the future and help prevent them from making the same mistakes. So don't be embarrassed and don't be afraid to let it all out! :p

What is the most insane, craziest thing you have ever done in the hobby?

YOU DID WHAT MEME.jpg
Hung out with you for a weekend :p

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do things sometimes that we're not exactly proud of and sometimes pretty embarrassing! But they sure can help others in the future and help prevent them from making the same mistakes. So don't be embarrassed and don't be afraid to let it all out! :p

What is the most insane, craziest thing you have ever done in the hobby?

YOU DID WHAT MEME.jpg

I could have made million I tell you, I could have been somebody, I could have been a contender, I could have been somebody. Not my proudest moment,it was called the coral carousel. Here's the link to it

James210ReefLife

James'210reefLife
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep...
Hair algae everywhere in my 45...
i got tired of it so i started pulling it all out.
off the rock and from the sand bed.
welp, i must have stirred up that sand pretty good because the next day all the fishies where floating....
A pair of clarkii clowns, flame angelfish, and a flame hawkfish.
Don't stir up the sand bed!!

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 AI Sols fall into the tank. Thankfully the GFCI tripped and no fish were harmed or even jumped but 2 of the power supplies shorted and one of the lights was fried. Oh yeh and there was the time I left the valve open on my water storage while filling it up overnight with fresh RODI. Ruined the new carpet in the closet and smelled like wet dog for weeks. My wife did not speak to me for 3 days without burning a hole in my head.

webmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a list of dumb things I have done since I started this hobby:

1. I did a 25% water change with FRESH water. Had the thing circulating since the previous night, but never put salt in it.
  2. I did a water change without turning off the heather, which caused it to explode in the sump. This was a "Fun" day
  3. I connected the RODI incorrectly the first time and made a mess in the laundry room.

I'm sure there are more, but these hurt the most.

Telvis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was young, dumb and very poor back in the 80’s, I decided to build my own aquarium. I don’t remember the dimensions but I know the glass was too thin. About an hour after filling it the glass exploded. Thankfully it was a ground floor apartment.

Then there was the more recent inebriated $800 worth of frag auction bidding frenzy. Thankfully they are mostly all thriving. Age and money don’t necessarily equate wisdom and good judgement.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dinoflagellate infestation decided to test the ability to use clindamyicin to target their secondary plastids, similar to its mode of action on malaria.
Yes corals also contain dinoflagellates, but science lol.
the dinoflagellates did go away by day 30 or so, some corals bleached(gaining color back), had a bacterial bloom on day 21 or so. Would not call this reef safe or recommend for anyone to try.

Back