Admitting I need help!!!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that may be happening now is that the tank is going through a cycle. A lot has been done to the tank in the last 2 weeks and it can be taking a toll on the tank. One thing you may want to consider is adding true live sand from a fellow reefer's tank to help replenish the microfauna. Also, you said you lost all inverts (this is a stab in the dark) but have you checked for stray voltage. Also, what test kits are you using and have you tried having someone else check the water? How old are the kits?

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that may be happening now is that the tank is going through a cycle. A lot has been done to the tank in the last 2 weeks and it can be taking a toll on the tank. One thing you may want to consider is adding true live sand from a fellow reefer's tank to help replenish the microfauna. Also, you said you lost all inverts (this is a stab in the dark) but have you checked for stray voltage. Also, what test kits are you using and have you tried having someone else check the water? How old are the kits?

I'm keeping a grounding probe 24/7, API test for standard parameters, elos for alk and Cal, all these numbers checked against lfs on Saturday. I appreciate the thought of stirring up everything too, this was my wife's guess too.

Country Boy using tapatalk on his EVO

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did u remove the dead/ dying corals or let them rot away in the tank, this can also cause issues. It is very possible as above stated that the tank is now in a cycle, I would keep doing water changes, switching carbon/gfo and have someone else check your levels/ re-calibrate your equipment to make sure those aren't causing issues as well. Also, check all of your pumps to ensure they are working properly, somehow I had a skimmer pump lock up and fry recently but never tripped the breaker or anything and was litterally smoking in the sump for probably a day or two before I figured out where the smell was coming from (it was coming out through the venturi line!).... I lost all my sps (including several very large colonies!) so I know your pain.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did u remove the dead/ dying corals or let them rot away in the tank, this can also cause issues. It is very possible as above stated that the tank is now in a cycle, I would keep doing water changes, switching carbon/gfo and have someone else check your levels/ re-calibrate your equipment to make sure those aren't causing issues as well. Also, check all of your pumps to ensure they are working properly, somehow I had a skimmer pump lock up and fry recently but never tripped the breaker or anything and was litterally smoking in the sump for probably a day or two before I figured out where the smell was coming from (it was coming out through the venturi line!).... I lost all my sps (including several very large colonies!) so I know your pain.

Yes sir. All sps removed due to rtn/death, all inverts removed, basically just a few softies and a couple lps left. All pumps working good, just check this weekend, heaters good too. Sorry about your loss too.

slapshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alk was probably lower. When alk gets to low SPS can't uptake calcium which is why it rises. The best Alk test kit can be off by 30 percent. That would for sure cause your Rtn issues. If it were me I'd change 100 percent of the water. Sounds like you've hit an old tank syndrome cycle. I'd do a 50 percent then another 50 percent in a few days. That should fix your nitrate level (should take it to5). You phosphates will still take some work though.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alk was probably lower. When alk gets to low SPS can't uptake calcium which is why it rises. The best Alk test kit can be off by 30 percent. That would for sure cause your Rtn issues. If it were me I'd change 100 percent of the water. Sounds like you've hit an old tank syndrome cycle. I'd do a 50 percent then another 50 percent in a few days. That should fix your nitrate level (should take it to5). You phosphates will still take some work though.

Appreciate it slapshot. Definitely thinking of it

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear about your corals brother it sounds like you are doing everything correctly.

Good thinking about Qting the fish tho!

Only thing I could think of adding was are you vaccuming only the top layer of the sand and how deep is your sand bed?

You may want to consider vacuuming portions of it all the way to the bottom or close to it. This is something I've started doing and has worked well for me. I have a 3-4" sand bed that is very active with life, definitely produces a lot of funk near the bottom.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear about your corals brother it sounds like you are doing everything correctly.

Good thinking about Qting the fish tho!

Only thing I could think of adding was are you vaccuming only the top layer of the sand and how deep is your sand bed?

You may want to consider vacuuming portions of it all the way to the bottom or close to it. This is something I've started doing and has worked well for me. I have a 3-4" sand bed that is very active with life, definitely produces a lot of funk near the bottom.

Thanks for the comments. 3.5 roughly on the sand bed. I might try that style of vacuum

Degener8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With everything that has been done and lost I to think a very large waterchange is in order. Sounds like the corals that are left would handle this well and no fish to worry about ATM. So I would go for it. +1to it recycling or mini cycling after all the issues. I would recommend as large or a water change as possible cleaning the sand as I drained. Doing smaller water changes don't remove the same volumes.. 2 50% changes =75% not 100%.

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As suggested water changes to bring down nitrates, make sure your RODI is in good shape or you will just be adding fuel to the fire. I would be leary of stirring up too much of the sandbed at this time.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. I'll probably be proceeding with an above mentioned idea, but still on the fence as to the approach I may take. Dealing with the mini cycle is something I'd prefer ATM, but I'm still not ruling out 100% wc

reefaholic420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brad, I would def do at least a 50% WC. and after that I would find a way to add some more bacteria to the tank, whether it be some micro blend or a few scoops of sand from a buddys established tank...Sorry for your frustration, hope everything works out for you.

Back when I had a sand bed, I would clean the sand like previously stated, portions of the whole thing, even tho your cleaning the top inch, it sounds like the sand bed is releasing some funk, causing the mini cycle...

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brad, I would def do at least a 50% WC. and after that I would find a way to add some more bacteria to the tank, whether it be some micro blend or a few scoops of sand from a buddys established tank...Sorry for your frustration, hope everything works out for you.

Back when I had a sand bed, I would clean the sand like previously stated, portions of the whole thing, even tho your cleaning the top inch, it sounds like the sand bed is releasing some funk, causing the mini cycle...

Thanks. I'm planning on doing the 50% change this weekend by pulling from the tropic eden substrate. I'm also planning some type of bacteria supplement too. As of now, only my ritteri nem, 3 acans, 2 small hammers, 2 clams, unknown polyps and gsp remain. On a side note, my clams have never been happier.

reefaholic420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm planning on doing the 50% change this weekend by pulling from the tropic eden substrate. I'm also planning some type of bacteria supplement too. As of now, only my ritteri nem, 3 acans, 2 small hammers, 2 clams, unknown polyps and gsp remain. On a side note, my clams have never been happier.

yeah im sure your clams love it.. just make sure your ammonia doesnt get too high, im sure you have some present. and just to be safe i would even get some of that "live" sand from the fish store. it has bacteria in it and if you cant get to a friends for some established sand, this will work fine too.. and i would for sure have a bottle of micro special blend bacteria(best one for the money). your tank is going to cycle a little but if you add enough bacteria and some live sand you should be good. i would also follow up with a 25% wc the day after, and another 25-35% the day following... I had to do this to my dads friends tank that was 35ish years old and his sand bed was filthy, his levels were normal, we just mainly did as a precaution to old tank syndrome, but this is how i did it and we had no problems with any corals or fish that were as well in their 30s..he had a tiny cycle, but nothing some added bacteria and some waterchanges didnt take care of...

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah im sure your clams love it.. just make sure your ammonia doesnt get too high, im sure you have some present. and just to be safe i would even get some of that "live" sand from the fish store. it has bacteria in it and if you cant get to a friends for some established sand, this will work fine too.. and i would for sure have a bottle of micro special blend bacteria(best one for the money). your tank is going to cycle a little but if you add enough bacteria and some live sand you should be good. i would also follow up with a 25% wc the day after, and another 25-35% the day following... I had to do this to my dads friends tank that was 35ish years old and his sand bed was filthy, his levels were normal, we just mainly did as a precaution to old tank syndrome, but this is how i did it and we had no problems with any corals or fish that were as well in their 30s..he had a tiny cycle, but nothing some added bacteria and some waterchanges didnt take care of...

Many thanks. Good write up!

the live sand that comes in bags... made by i think natures ocean..

Thought of this because most of my lfs have bb anyway.

BlueDartReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine a fair portion of your high pollutant levels are/were caused from all your die off. You mentioned regular use of carbon. I am curious if you have tested for copper at all?
Stiring up the sand on a regulary basis alleviates the potential threat of your sand beds turning to funk factories. I turn the majority of my sand over at least three times a month.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine a fair portion of your high pollutant levels are/were caused from all your die off. You mentioned regular use of carbon. I am curious if you have tested for copper at all?
Stiring up the sand on a regulary basis alleviates the potential threat of your sand beds turning to funk factories. I turn the majority of my sand over at least three times a month.

No copper test as of yet and I change carbon every other week. My WC comes from a vac on my tropic eden substrate.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back