Adopting

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My family is looking into adoption, and for once not for either tank. We are still in the very very early stages. There are a few things about this process that have surprised me. These are NOT COMPLAINTS, just the first of many surprises I'm sure we will find throughout this process. First, I was a little surprised that I need more paperwork to adopt than to buy a house or get a passport. As we are slowly moving along, we are up to the home inspections. That was part two that was a little surprising. We need multiple home inspections. As part of the inspections we were told we need to treat my daughter's BB guns as firearms, so we need a gun safe. She is five and loves to shoot BB's competitively (honestly, may be a better shot than I am at this point). While they are locked in a travel case on a shelf, that doesn't count. Gun safe is surprise three.

Surprise four is why I'm posting here. All reefing chemicals, food, dry goods, ect. must be locked up. Not just out of reach, but locked up tighter than household cleaning supplies. Part of this might be because we are being inspected by people who have no idea what those chemicals or food are, but it still seems a touch excessive to need a locking door with a key (or equivalent).

First, has anyone been through the adoption from foster care process and have any helpful suggestions? Secondly, none of this is intended as complaints as the safety of the all kids in the house comes first, but does anyone have suggestions for easy access dry goods storage system(s) that are up out of reach and lock? I have a few ideas for a diy cabinet on the wall next to the tank, but I'm always looking for new or better suggestions.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on beginning this long process.

Hope you will have the kids soon!

No idea about current regulations.

But I was adopted at birth and have a wonderful family!

I do understand you are not complaining! [emoji846]

Some of it can be a little bewildering once you get into the home details.

Please keep us posted. [emoji846]

OP
OP
B

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s surprising about having to do more paperwork to get a human child than a couple of inanimate objects?
Maybe I’m reading that wrong.
I was merely referring to a couple specific documents that we have to purchase because the standard documents are not enough. Birth certificates for example. I didn't even know there were long form versions, but evidently they are not standard. Had to re-purchase for myself, wife, and child. Not an issue, just learning new things. Had no idea those forms even existed.

OP
OP
B

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on beginning this long process.

Hope you will have the kids soon!

No idea about current regulations.

But I was adopted at birth and have a wonderful family!

I do understand you are not complaining! [emoji846]

Some of it can be a little bewildering once you get into the home details.

Please keep us posted. [emoji846]

Thank you! It's definitely been eye opening in terms of requirements. It all makes sense, just surprising. We are not even into getting matched yet, so we've got a very long ways to go. Evidently I have some furniture to build too, so it's a good thing we have some time!

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It's definitely been eye opening in terms of requirements. It all makes sense, just surprising. We are not even into getting matched yet, so we've got a very long ways to go. Evidently I have some furniture to build too, so it's a good thing we have some time!
Sounds like you are doing well and things are progressing. [emoji846]

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we finally made it. We are adding a 9yo girl to our family. We only get her on weekends for now, but once she is on Christmas break, she will be a permanent member of our family!
That's fantastic. Congratulations. How are the weekends going? How is everyone adjusting?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations! You have successfully made it to the starting line!!!

The journey from here is amazing, frustrating, and life changing for everyone involved!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As a related thought - I encourage you to celebrate the day she becomes part of your forever family (aka “Gotcha Day”) just like you will celebrate her birthday - cake, presents, party, special dinner, or whatever she would like.

OP
OP
B

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fantastic. Congratulations. How are the weekends going? How is everyone adjusting?
Thank you! Adjusting is a very nice way of putting it. Weekends have been busy whirlwind tornados of activity full of fun and frustration, but worth every minute.

OP
OP
B

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations! You have successfully made it to the starting line!!!

The journey from here is amazing, frustrating, and life changing for everyone involved!
Thanks! It has been incredible. The first time she called me daddy ranked up there with our other daughter's first words. The frustrations have been felt all around, but there has never been a second thought given to adding her to our family.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a related thought - I encourage you to celebrate the day she becomes part of your forever family (aka “Gotcha Day”) just like you will celebrate her birthday - cake, presents, party, special dinner, or whatever she would like.
Way ahead of you on that one. My wife and I have a bit of a side hustle baking. Sometime during Christmas break we have a Frozen party coming up. I'm already practicing the isomalt ice castles, and my wife is working on playdough Olaf's at her job (preschool teacher).

OP
OP
B

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friends adopted their daughter. Prepare for a very long process......
We've been working on this for a year, and just met her three weeks ago. We still have at least seven months to go before we can actually adopt her. Congratulations to your friend on expanding their family!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Way ahead of you on that one. My wife and I have a bit of a side hustle baking. Sometime during Christmas break we have a Frozen party coming up. I'm already practicing the isomalt ice castles, and my wife is working on playdough Olaf's at her job (preschool teacher).

Fantastic! Then every year on that day you can celebrate her Gotcha Day! It will become as normal and natural part of the family calendar as birthdays.

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so wonderful! Congratulations! You and your family are a blessing.

Our friends are trying to adopt through foster care. They have a long way to go, but seeing stories like this definitely are encouraging.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are born into a family. But being chosen to be part of a family is very special. I love the idea of gotcha day.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back