Adult Supervision Required

Altmann

What have I gotten myself into?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer here - or maybe wannabe reefer? I have always wanted a reef. But when my 17yo son said 'Hey Mom let's do a reef' I dragged out the bags of money I have been waiting to burn and jumped right in!

55 gallon seemed like a safe place to start. After an enormous amount of thinking and research the original plan was an AIO. We fishless cycled, my husband and son made some 'live rock', and after a couple months we added a few critters.

4 months into - it we dragged another tank out of basement and the sump adventure has begun. <<what was I thinking?!>>

Please don't judge me! The main tank is on an older table with a frame I loved specifically for this. The sides drop down leaving the perfect place for the Main tank. Leaving the side down in front of the sump until the system is set (ish). Then I will build the sump cabinet and add a top designed around the lighting so rocking out with a basic hood for now. The more I read the more I realize this can go so many ways. So I debated: I could have a really fancy, aesthetically pleasing display and limit my options or make it what I want it to be and build my aquarium diaplay to accommodate the system. I like options.

My knowledge, lingo and terminology leave a lot to be desired with aquarium and reef design, but I get the most amazing satisfaction from the whole DIY so I am committed and ready to learn.

At the moment we have some
Nassarius Snails, mexican turbo snails, blue leg hermit crabs, an emerald crab, a shark nose goby, and a banggai cardinal. For coral a toadstool leather and green star polyp. Neither of which are impressed with us. At all.

I am going to order more cleaners. But know I need to wait until everything is running properly before I add anything else. I think... I think I know... or I know I should think that I know that I don't really know...

Advice or suggestions is appreciated.
20210201_132914_resized.jpg

20210201_005240.jpg

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestion-1, your tank is too new and too clean for a big CUC (Clean Up Crew). They need ugly stuff to eat and you don't have any (yet).

Suggestion-2, stability is 90% of success, knowledge is 10% and patience is 100% (See #1 above).

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer here - or maybe wannabe reefer? I have always wanted a reef. But when my 17yo son said 'Hey Mom let's do a reef' I dragged out the bags of money I have been waiting to burn and jumped right in!

55 gallon seemed like a safe place to start. After an enormous amount of thinking and research the original plan was an AIO. We fishless cycled, my husband and son made some 'live rock', and after a couple months we added a few critters.

4 months into - it we dragged another tank out of basement and the sump adventure has begun. <<what was I thinking?!>>

Please don't judge me! The main tank is on an older table with a frame I loved specifically for this. The sides drop down leaving the perfect place for the Main tank. Leaving the side down in front of the sump until the system is set (ish). Then I will build the sump cabinet and add a top designed around the lighting so rocking out with a basic hood for now. The more I read the more I realize this can go so many ways. So I debated: I could have a really fancy, aesthetically pleasing display and limit my options or make it what I want it to be and build my aquarium diaplay to accommodate the system. I like options.

My knowledge, lingo and terminology leave a lot to be desired with aquarium and reef design, but I get the most amazing satisfaction from the whole DIY so I am committed and ready to learn.

At the moment we have some
Nassarius Snails, mexican turbo snails, blue leg hermit crabs, an emerald crab, a shark nose goby, and a banggai cardinal. For coral a toadstool leather and green star polyp. Neither of which are impressed with us. At all.

I am going to order more cleaners. But know I need to wait until everything is running properly before I add anything else. I think... I think I know... or I know I should think that I know that I don't really know...

Advice or suggestions is appreciated.
20210201_132914_resized.jpg

20210201_005240.jpg
I Would get some Leds like an Ai or Kessil lights, In my opinion these are the best and when tuned correctly the blue color really helps the corals pop

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I look the more questions I have versus suggestions or answers. No idea what lighting you are using and you did mention corals, right?

I'll cease with the conjectures and pass along a wisdom I was told not so long ago...
You can have a nice tank full of corals. You can have a nice tank full of fish. But you can't have a nice tank full of both without a lot of work. Decide what you want and how much time (and money) you are willing to invest. Then set your course.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to the salty side of life.

Now why do you have a driftwood structure in a saltwater tank? Add some reef rocks in it. How did you made "live rock"?

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure why you added driftwood to the reef??? I would suggest fixing your aquascape and then test your parameters once you got all parameters where they need to be and you have scheduled your weekly or biweekly water changes as welk as some decent lighting and you feel like you got a rhythm going then I would go ahead and start adding some beginner corals or even beginner fish. Dont rush the purchases and make sure you quarantine becasue the last thing you want are sick fish and then you have to take em all out of the tank and medicate them and its a hassle!!! BEST ADVICE DO THINGS RIGHT THE FIRST TIME AND YOU WONT HAVE TO WORK TWICE AS HARD! DONT RUSH!

ScubaSteeve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the picture of the sump you have the drain for the skimmer drain back into the sump. That hose is made to drain into a container or remover it and put the plug back in it and empty the cup when it fills up.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that glares at me, is that carpet under the tank?

You mentioned you love the table and I get that for sure. But if that's carpet under the tank it's going to be a stained and stuck disaster crushed under the tank and ruined your table top surface.

If you will consider something different under the tank, there's no better time to empty the tank water and replace the carpet with a more suitable underlayment.

OP
OP
Altmann

Altmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider moving that heater into the sump.
Add a background (paint or vinyl) to the back of the tank.
Oh absolutely for the background. I cannot stand seeing tubes and through to the wall it looks so - ugh!. We took it off with all the moving everything around. We have been playing with the idea of actually painting the glass. Do you have a recommended paint?

And you actually answered a question I had. So I can move the heater to the sump !

Can I move the biowheel filter down there as well? Or will we even need it once the skimmer and refugium are up and functioning?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure why you added driftwood to the reef??? I would suggest fixing your aquascape and then test your parameters once you got all parameters where they need to be and you have scheduled your weekly or biweekly water changes as welk as some decent lighting and you feel like you got a rhythm going then I would go ahead and start adding some beginner corals or even beginner fish. Dont rush the purchases and make sure you quarantine becasue the last thing you want are sick fish and then you have to take em all out of the tank and medicate them and its a hassle!!! BEST ADVICE DO THINGS RIGHT THE FIRST TIME AND YOU WONT HAVE TO WORK TWICE AS HARD! DONT RUSH!
+1 on the driftwood, it WILL leach, and play huge games with the PH. Likely going to the acidic side....we don't want to be pulling our hair out over PH of all things....

OP
OP
Altmann

Altmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that glares at me, is that carpet under the tank?

You mentioned you love the table and I get that for sure. But if that's carpet under the tank it's going to be a stained and stuck disaster crushed under the tank and ruined your table top surface.

If you will consider something different under the tank, there's no better time to empty the tank water and replace the carpet with a more suitable underlayment.
Lol. It's a burlap table runner. What would you consider more suitable? I had actually considered cutting it away at one time. I love the middle table surface and frame that supports it . It's basic. Insanely sturdy and has great potential for building and adapting. The table itself... I'm not attached to, but I certainly do not want a nasty mess underneath!!

I have had freshwater community and cichlid aquariums since I was a kid. Mom always had us put a towel underneath and when we did the water changes we swapped them out. I clearly didn't think about that fact that with a reef there would (hopefully) be no draining!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the picture of the sump you have the drain for the skimmer drain back into the sump. That hose is made to drain into a container or remover it and put the plug back in it and empty the cup when it fills up.
Definitely this! Also your water level in the skimmer is too low, basically right now it is serving zero purpose and that line should most certainly not be in the sump but plugged up and out of the water.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. It's a burlap table runner. What would you consider more suitable? I had actually considered cutting it away at one time. I love the middle table surface and frame that supports it . It's basic. Insanely sturdy and has great potential for building and adapting. The table itself... I'm not attached to, but I certainly do not want a nasty mess underneath!!

I have had freshwater community and cichlid aquariums since I was a kid. Mom always had us put a towel underneath and when we did the water changes we swapped them out. I clearly didn't think about that fact that with a reef there would (hopefully) be no draining!
Keep in mind salt creep and spills and floods.

OP
OP
Altmann

Altmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the driftwood, it WILL leach, and play huge games with the PH. Likely going to the acidic side....we don't want to be pulling our hair out over PH of all things....
So the aquascape is all done by my son. This is 'his project'. Which has become a family project. And it has been fun. Can you explain more on the driftwood? It's been in there since October. Ph 8.2 from October through Jan 8 and since Jan 8 it has been 8. We have had it covered by all kinds of "neatness" while everything cycled. This last month is the first time I haven't had to google some weirdness growing. Is there a thread somewhere that I can use to reference what will and won't be okay in the reef? When he wanted to get it .. he googled and said it would be okay.

No I don't want to pull my hair out over anything I can knowingly prevent! So I am so thankful for advice and direction.

OP
OP
Altmann

Altmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fine and coarse aragonite sand, Portland cement, rock salt, oyster shells and crushed coral. Make a form in sand pour the mix in cover the sand seal the tote keep sand damp when it is set (some took several days - some never made it) you take it out and soak and water change daily until ph drops and stabilizes (several weeks) then move to saltwater holding tank add live rock to share the beneficial bacteria in one and another I used the microbacter dry rock starter kit. In both of those I had the saltwater, Air stones and bubblers. Let that run for several weeks and put them in the tank.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fine and coarse aragonite sand, Portland cement, rock salt, oyster shells and crushed coral. Make a form in sand pour the mix in cover the sand seal the tote keep sand damp when it is set (some took several days - some never made it) you take it out and soak and water change daily until ph drops and stabilizes (several weeks) then move to saltwater holding tank add live rock to share the beneficial bacteria in one and another I used the microbacter dry rock starter kit. In both of those I had the saltwater, Air stones and bubblers. Let that run for several weeks and put them in the tank.
Hmm I guess it could work however actual rock is much better and it is more porous for bacteria to reside along with pods, worms,etc. not sure what purpose a bubbler and airdromes has besides creating salt creep, best to use a Powerbeats to create actual flow.

sorry to say, but I think you should really do a lot more research instead of diving in head first, it will save you a ton of money and aggravation. Saltwater is NOTHING like fresh nor as forgiving.

OP
OP
Altmann

Altmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side of life.

Now why do you have a driftwood structure in a saltwater tank? Add some reef rocks in it. How did you made "live rock"?
Driftwood structure- Because that is what my son wanted.

He kind of has a vision if what he wants and I am just working with it. My 17 yo son is top of his class and has played sports year round since he was 5. He has played football since before he started Kindergarten, LAX is school team and LAX travel team when school is on breaks. Sometimes with basketball too. Then Covid. He went from being extremely active, structured and engaged to sleeping as much as he was awake. He wanted to try something and I am running with it. I will not judge or direct his aquascape choices. I will eventually figure out how to work the aesthetics. If a reef gives him something to enjoy and create then a reef it is.

Creating the rock was fun and bonding for he and my husband. I believe it would have been the same $$ to buy it. But they made memories, laughs and a heck of a mess and I cannot assign a dollar value to that. They made it with:

I am here for help because they ask Mom... a lot. He does a ton of research, but we have never done a reef and the information and misinformation is abundant - so I joined here to help through the growing and learning.

OP
OP
Altmann

Altmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I look the more questions I have versus suggestions or answers. No idea what lighting you are using and you did mention corals, right?

I'll cease with the conjectures and pass along a wisdom I was told not so long ago...
You can have a nice tank full of corals. You can have a nice tank full of fish. But you can't have a nice tank full of both without a lot of work. Decide what you want and how much time (and money) you are willing to invest. Then set your course.
Hmm I guess it could work however actual rock is much better and it is more porous for bacteria to reside along with pods, worms,etc. not sure what purpose a bubbler and airdromes has besides creating salt creep, best to use a Powerbeats to create actual flow.

sorry to say, but I think you should really do a lot more research instead of diving in head first, it will save you a ton of money and aggravation. Saltwater is NOTHING like fresh nor as

sorry to say, but I think you should really do a lot more research instead of diving in head first, it will save you a ton of money and aggravation. Saltwater is NOTHING like fresh nor as forgiving.
I put powerheads in the last two weeks.. didn't really see that it made a difference. The whole purpose is to keep water from getting stagnant. The rocksalt disintegrates and makes crevices. And bulk reef supply sells start up kits for the rock conversion. I respect that some people prefer buying live rock, we decided to have fun with it. Rest well knowing an enormous amount of research went into this.

As far as salt and fresh you are right, they are both very different. I had a brackish aquarium for over ten years and salt for 3 or 4 now. It is the reef I am finding to be challenging.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back