Adventures in keeping a sps reef

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, delete any schedules that you currently don’t use whatsoever. If you don’t want to do that, open them all up and make sure “active in modes” doesn’t have anything checked off.

In regards to the slower speed a, confirm that the Tile for both pumps are set to max speeds. Should say 15-100% I believe.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. Switched the control input to none. I'm not sure why it was set to that. Appears to be a default.

For some reason, my night schedule is now running instead of the day...

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a hypothetical… in this scenario, LPS Reef and Sine Wave are switching every 30 mins, and there’s an hour long Nutrient Export at 12:00pm-1:00pm.

Attachments

• 1CC87C90-DF96-4FE1-9FF6-C4BFB271A47D.jpeg
    1CC87C90-DF96-4FE1-9FF6-C4BFB271A47D.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 37

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh. Do I actually have to set the run count? I assumed that was optional
You need to set the run count when you have advanced settings set, otherwise I don’t know how Hydros prioritizes what. This way it knows to stop and to have the Nutrient Export take over from 12:00-1:00

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to Logs in the menu, then select your pump.. what does the log look like? That will tell you exactly what schedules have been running and when.

Attachments

• E809DA0D-B1AB-40E2-9A28-6E9C6AB73056.png
    E809DA0D-B1AB-40E2-9A28-6E9C6AB73056.png
    189.8 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to set the run count when you have advanced settings set, otherwise I don’t know how Hydros prioritizes what. This way it knows to stop and to have the Nutrient Export take over from 12:00-1:00
Ya, that does make sense. I probably need to play around with the app more. I will try setting some run counts. Do you leave the Run time and Run Interval the same?
Go to Logs in the menu, then select your pump.. what does the log look like? That will tell you exactly what schedules have been running and when.
Checked logs and for some reason I have no logs for any of the pumps... which is weird.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, that does make sense. I probably need to play around with the app more. I will try setting some run counts. Do you leave the Run time and Run Interval the same?

Checked logs and for some reason I have no logs for any of the pumps... which is weird.
Run time = how long it will run for each count it turns on, so 30 mins in the example I gave you

Run interval = how often it will run. I should have added that in the example I gave you, and it should have said 01:00:00, meaning it will run every hour.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The no log showing up is strange. I’m wondering if they’ve been just running minimum speed because of that 0-10 input setting you had on

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I seem to have things working. Switches modes every hour. Hopefully tomorrow the nutrient export runs when it should. Thanks for all the help!

As for the tank, still removing algae, I've been going rock by rock trying to clean off as much algae as possible. So far, on the rock I have cleaned there hasn't been a ton of grow back. Just a few small patches here and there.

Unfortunately, I still am getting a few euphyllia heads bailing out. I've also started throwing out any dead frags.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I seem to have things working. Switches modes every hour. Hopefully tomorrow the nutrient export runs when it should. Thanks for all the help!

As for the tank, still removing algae, I've been going rock by rock trying to clean off as much algae as possible. So far, on the rock I have cleaned there hasn't been a ton of grow back. Just a few small patches here and there.

Unfortunately, I still am getting a few euphyllia heads bailing out. I've also started throwing out any dead frags.
At least you got it sorted… hopefully the increased flow will help the cause out.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully. Time will tell I guess. I think I am going to be looking at a near complete coral restart though. Which sucks.
I had 3 near complete losses with my current tank. Terrible. Only thing that made it was a duncan coral.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 near complete losses with my current tank. Terrible. Only thing that made it was a duncan coral.
Oof that's rough. I'm not sure I could keep going after 3 losses. One has been tough enough.

Its always a random coral that survives isn't it. The Duncan coral in my 25g went from one head to 6 in a few months. Then one day it closed up and hasn't really opened up or grown since. No matter what I've tried it won't fully open.

Currently in the tank it seems like only the big bowerbanki coral is happy.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been almost a week since the flow was increased. I'm not seeing a ton of change, but I do get more algae blowing around the tank and not as much cyano is coming back on the sand.

I'm still seeing poly bail out on the euphyllia. I've thrown out 4 frags so far. I see only one frag has any sort of flesh band so they all might be goners. The big euphyllia is down to 2 heads. 1 is partly out and the other is incredibly receded into the head.

I tried to get as much algae off the space invaders as I could. I ended up having to cut the dead ends off. That was on Tuesday and it's still unhappy and I have seen algae growing back on it already...

I scraped a ton of algae off the back wall. There was a bunch of Coraline beneath it so I'm hoping that starts to take off.

The two rocks I have been focusing on cleaning off have been staying relatively algae free. With the exception of the cracks and holes I can't seem to get the algae pulled out of. I still think I am going to need more snails. I have been looking for a tuxedo urchin, but every place is sold out, so for the time being I'm going to order another 6 snails.

I had another bout of crazy skimmer last night. I'm really not sure what set it off this time, but once again it went crazy and overflowed out of the sump, and I still haven't been able to turn it back on.

While playing around with the skimmer, I noticed that all the algae in the refugium has died off. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Nutrients have been relatively stable. Nitrate has been around 7ppm and phosphate briefly dipped to around 0.07ppm. I have been dosing 10ml of live phyto daily to keep up nutrients.

Attachments

• PXL_20221210_021131879.jpg
    PXL_20221210_021131879.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20221210_021124280.jpg
    PXL_20221210_021124280.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20221210_021148681.jpg
    PXL_20221210_021148681.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20221210_021139255.jpg
    PXL_20221210_021139255.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 31

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euphyl
It's been almost a week since the flow was increased. I'm not seeing a ton of change, but I do get more algae blowing around the tank and not as much cyano is coming back on the sand.

I'm still seeing poly bail out on the euphyllia. I've thrown out 4 frags so far. I see only one frag has any sort of flesh band so they all might be goners. The big euphyllia is down to 2 heads. 1 is partly out and the other is incredibly receded into the head.

I tried to get as much algae off the space invaders as I could. I ended up having to cut the dead ends off. That was on Tuesday and it's still unhappy and I have seen algae growing back on it already...

I scraped a ton of algae off the back wall. There was a bunch of Coraline beneath it so I'm hoping that starts to take off.

The two rocks I have been focusing on cleaning off have been staying relatively algae free. With the exception of the cracks and holes I can't seem to get the algae pulled out of. I still think I am going to need more snails. I have been looking for a tuxedo urchin, but every place is sold out, so for the time being I'm going to order another 6 snails.

I had another bout of crazy skimmer last night. I'm really not sure what set it off this time, but once again it went crazy and overflowed out of the sump, and I still haven't been able to turn it back on.

While playing around with the skimmer, I noticed that all the algae in the refugium has died off. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Nutrients have been relatively stable. Nitrate has been around 7ppm and phosphate briefly dipped to around 0.07ppm. I have been dosing 10ml of live phyto daily to keep up nutrients.
Seems like you’re on the right path with the phyto. A variety of pods will also help. Euphyillia is very difficult to keep alive once it starts to go, so I wouldn’t use that as a barometer for progress with the alage. The algae dying off in the fuge is likely a good thing. That means that the nutrients are being outcompeted by the algae in the tank due to the light since you’re giving it a better environment there. It may be a good time to get your fuge back online and let the macro algae try to outcompete the hair algae.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euphyl

Seems like you’re on the right path with the phyto. A variety of pods will also help. Euphyillia is very difficult to keep alive once it starts to go, so I wouldn’t use that as a barometer for progress with the alage. The algae dying off in the fuge is likely a good thing. That means that the nutrients are being outcompeted by the algae in the tank due to the light since you’re giving it a better environment there. It may be a good time to get your fuge back online and let the macro algae try to outcompete the hair algae.
I should have a good variety of pods, I added a big seed pack in oct and it came with like 3 different types of pods. I supposed I could add more. I wish there was other things I could add to increase biodiversity, but we just don't have the options here.

My big euphyllia is down to 1 head now and it's the head that is so receded it looks like it isn't there. So I would say another week and I can throw that out....

I was away from Sat-mon. When I got back there was a bit more algae in some place so I definitely need more snails, but I can see green on the places that I have cleaned and not pest algae! I can also see that the emerald crab is starting to make a dent in the bubble algae which is great.

On the plus side, tuxedo urchins are in stock again so I am going to order one of those today.

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well ****, I tried to order the urchin and some more snails and got this

"Thank you for the order.

Unfortunately we have now stopped shipping livestock for the holiday season and will therefore have to cancel and refund this order for you.

We will start again early in the new year so if you still would like these you can order again then and we can get them shipped out for you."

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well ****, I tried to order the urchin and some more snails and got this

"Thank you for the order.

Unfortunately we have now stopped shipping livestock for the holiday season and will therefore have to cancel and refund this order for you.

We will start again early in the new year so if you still would like these you can order again then and we can get them shipped out for you."
Are there any reef clubs around you? Facebook groups? Anything like that? Trying to think outside the box for a way to find an existing system you can get some live rock from to help with biodiversity… or are there any shops up that way that can buy you a bag of the Caribsea Ocean Direct sand? Anything like that at all?

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any reef clubs around you? Facebook groups? Anything like that? Trying to think outside the box for a way to find an existing system you can get some live rock from to help with biodiversity… or are there any shops up that way that can buy you a bag of the Caribsea Ocean Direct sand? Anything like that at all?
There is a facebook group for my area. There's always lots of system shut downs, especially lately. From a few people I have talked to, they all recommend not taking any live rock from shut downs around me since the majority of them are due to pests and or algae problems. I have been keeping my eye out though.

The live sand is pretty easy to get, I used it to start the tank. I still have to order it in though.

I'm about 4 hour drive from the nearest major city. We have one tiny saltwater store in town which is out of a guys garage. As a reference the facebook group has 834 people in it.... most seem to treat it as a "side hustle" so it can be tough finding things for decent used prices.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back