Advice about protein skimmer on fluval evo 52l

rocknurworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi j have the fluval evo 52l tank Nd normally it's the fluval ps2 skimmer that goes in this tank. But I have a v2 nano skimmer could I use this instead of buying the ps2?

realwizer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unsure if your extra skimmer will fit. Just try it!

Most people tend to recommend no skimmer on a small tank like this and instead go with water changes. I have the PS2 and used it for 6 months. Felt like I was constantly adjusting due to small water level changes from filter floss filling up. So while I think functionally it was “ok”, not being able to control water height like a sump limited its usefulness to me. And this was with an ATO, which did not help water level for skimmer since it more was due to filter backup than evaporation in my experience.

I also tried running a fuge in one of the slots with chaeto. In the end, just went with two media baskets that I 3d printed (similar to intank baskets) and went without the fuge or skimmer.

Hope that helps a little. I’d suggest some trial and error to see what works for you in the end.

OP
OP
R

rocknurworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much for that information. do you have a picture of the baskets that you put in them?

realwizer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have good pictures, but the files I used (there are a few different versions if you search Thingiverse)

or

When printing for aquariums, you would want to use PETG filament.

If you dont want to print or dont have a 3d printer, dflowdesigns.co.uk also sells 3d printed baskets.

OP
OP
R

rocknurworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have good pictures, but the files I used (there are a few different versions if you search Thingiverse)

or

When printing for aquariums, you would want to use PETG filament.

If you dont want to print or dont have a 3d printer, dflowdesigns.co.uk also sells 3d printed baskets.
no I don't own 3d printer. what is the cost roughly of cheapest 3d printer currently?
do you think prices of these baskets can be expensive £60 is alot which is half the price of the entire tank for what is in reality just some pieces of plastic together ?

also what's the media you chose exactly is best for each chamber and at which level of the chamber did you put what?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 148 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back