Advice for Algae on Polyp Coral

  • Thread starter Thread starter Robg719
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Robg719

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 1, 2016
Messages
77
Reaction score
88
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering what people would advise here. I've had some green star polyps for a few weeks. They seem to be acclimated fine and open up nicely once the lights are on.
However, I've noticed a buildup of algae?? On the coral. It seems that it's taking over and was wondering if I should try and remove it or leave alone. Feel like I may damage the polyps by trying to remove.

Thoughts?? Thanks!

Tried my best to post a picture when the polyps are closed and opened.

image.jpg


image.jpg
 
welcome2.jpg


If this is the only place it's growing on try to remove it but do it outside the tank on a bucket of old water after a water change.
This is green hair algae and you don't want that in your tank.
GSP are inexpensive and tough corals and if it was me I would try to clean it but stick it in my sump with no light for three day after you cleaned it first.
Sometimes in your local fish club they give these corals out for free.
 
welcome2.jpg


If this is the only place it's growing on try to remove it but do it outside the tank on a bucket of old water after a water change.
This is green hair algae and you don't want that in your tank.
GSP are inexpensive and tough corals and if it was me I would try to clean it but stick it in my sump with no light for three day after you cleaned it first.
Sometimes in your local fish club they give these corals out for free.
+1 and welcome to the community!
 
That looks just like the petco GSP rocks and color. Let em retract 100% and clean as diesel said in a water change water bucket so u don't waist good salt. I was goin 2 clean some bubble and hair algae on a red rainbow Acan frag but my emerald or red/blue legs got it over night. I'm suprised they haven't been grazing on it
 
A 4:1 or 3:1 tank water/peroxide dip for 5-7 minutes may also help. It will tick off your GSP for a few days, but I lost an entire colony to hair algae because it choked them out.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new