Advice for basic reliable pH pen

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen BRS reccomends the Hanna Checker Plus pH Checker, it seems to be a popular product, but I've also seen negative reviews
I already have the Hanna Marine pH colorimeter, but that has an accuracy of ±0.2 pH, I got that because it doesn't need calibration, but I've noticed that there're some pretty bad reviews in the mix.

I don't need anything fancy, I just want a pH pen that I can use to double check pH results from continuous use pH probes.
I don't need 0.01 resolution either, 0.1 is fine, as long as I don't need to recalibrate several times a month, and can trust the result.

Basically, I wanna buy a pH pen that doesn't cost a fortune, that I can calibrate once a month or so, and I can simply trust when dip it in tank water, or Kalkwasser.
Maybe, I'm just being too optimistic, but something like that shouldn't be too expensive, no? Any specific product advice?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen BRS reccomends the Hanna Checker Plus pH Checker, it seems to be a popular product, but I've also seen negative reviews
I already have the Hanna Marine pH colorimeter, but that has an accuracy of ±0.2 pH, I got that because it doesn't need calibration, but I've noticed that there're some pretty bad reviews in the mix.

I don't need anything fancy, I just want a pH pen that I can use to double check pH results from continuous use pH probes.
I don't need 0.01 resolution either, 0.1 is fine, as long as I don't need to recalibrate several times a month, and can trust the result.

Basically, I wanna buy a pH pen that doesn't cost a fortune, that I can calibrate once a month or so, and I can simply trust when dip it in tank water, or Kalkwasser.
Maybe, I'm just being too optimistic, but something like that shouldn't be too expensive, no? Any specific product advice?
do you need a pen? Honestly if you just want a basic ballpark test you can use an API kit.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pen idea wont work, it will always need calibration just like any probe
maybe try api test strips, never used them i find my hanna ph checker to be pretty accurate and it has not drifted in the last 6 months.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don't need a basic ballpark, I want a simple instrument that gives a precise accurate reading.
you can use the Hanna PH checker (not the pen one), or a Redsea or Sailfurt kit. Pens will need to be recalibrated and can be finicky in my experience .

API kits will give you PH within like +- 0.1 and are cheap. Along with your probes you should have a solid grasp on PH.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the hanna HI98107 which seems accurate to me when i guessed the colors to salifert and red sea. Those colors mess me up. The pen is great.

But my LFS suggested this one as its there favorite.

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have any experience with ph pens but, I always use red sea test kits and they are reliable and not too expensive compare to how many accurate tests you get. Test strips are useless because humidity from your tank will work its way into the bottle of test strips every time you open it you let in moisture which renders them inaccurate.

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of any pH measurement other than a meter because one cannot easily verify the accuracy of a pH test kit.
Im curious about the accuracy of red sea. Im sure it is pretty close since i use it for my reef tanks and have happy corals and fish. I would try to take a reading with your meter and take a red sea test and see how far off they are to see how close the red sea test kit is to a meter.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curious about the accuracy of red sea. Im sure it is pretty close since i use it for my reef tanks and have happy corals and fish. I would try to take a reading with your meter and take a red sea test and see how far off they are to see how close the red sea test kit is to a meter.

Ok, but I do not have the kit to test it, and my concern with kits is what happens as the dyes degrade with age (assuming it was even made right initially).

tREEFarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Milwaukee ph600 pen. It's been reliable and easy to use so far! I picked up some of the storage solution (#MA9015) in the event it will sit for a bit to help prolong the life of the electrode.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as OP, I like the idea of a pH pen (or even hand-held meter with probe) so I can just dip, clean, and store but have seen so many bad reviews of most of the affordable (<$100) ones so haven't bothered,,, plus, I don't do anything based on my pH level anyway.

Will have to read up on some of the recommendations above.

If you end up buying and testing something, I'm interested in how it works out.

EDIT -- I'm curious if Randy H. has a preferred meter that's readily available?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back