advice for first time sump user?

xxoczukxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i plan to drill a 15g tank and use a 10g as a sump (small, i know).

My question is are there any comprehensive guides out for this? ive look at a few threads and videos but nothing really too in depth popped up for me.

my general questions are as follows:

What size bulkheads should i use? i read that the really important one is the overflow bulkhead as it determines your flow rate but the return bulkhead simply needs to match or be slightly larger than the tubing required by your pump.

what size return pump should i use? I have a spare aqueon 1700 sitting around and i was also looking some eheim pumps. i assume im gonna want something like 400gph for my return?

I guess my biggest question was about choosing bulkhead sizes and fittings.. could anyone chime in with some help?

also anyone have input on this kit? http://www.ebay.com/itm/REFUGIUM-KI...in-skimmer-sump-aquarium-filter-/191230874999

I dont know if i want to use a micron bag or just make a media rack to go where the back was supposed to

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally you don't want any more than 10x the DT volume in per hr turnover rate, so 15g tank = 150gph, and less would be fine.
Depending on the height from sump to DT, a 400gph pump would probably work once you factor in head loss and return restrictions.

3/4 bulkheads should be fine.

OP
OP
X

xxoczukxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally you don't want any more than 10x the DT volume in per hr turnover rate, so 15g tank = 150gph, and less would be fine.
Depending on the height from sump to DT, a 400gph pump would probably work once you factor in head loss and return restrictions.

3/4 bulkheads should be fine.

What size pipe usually fits 3/4" bulkheads? I know you dont glue the bulkheads themselves but do you have to glue the pvc into the bulkhead?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back