Advice for moving my reef

Damion123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moving to a new house in a month. The house is only a few miles away. I am looking for advice on how I should do it and what supplies I might need to help me move my 75 gallon.
Process as I imagine it
Catch fish (2 clowns, 1 tomini, 1 Banghi)
Remove rock and coral, I plan on keeping the rock wet. None of the frags are glued down.
Should I remove the sand? Should I wash the sand to remove detritus?
Drain tank.
Reassemble in new house
Add water. I plan on replacing 100% of the water with new water. I think I will just have all the salt water I need already at the new house.

I plan on buying a couple of 5 gallon buckets to store the fish and coral for transport. And a few larger containers for the rock work.
Is there anything else I should be buying??

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air stone for transport , I bought large storage bins from Lowe’s to transport much easier than buckets. If you want to keep sand , need to rinse in tap then rinse again in RO once it’s clean , I just bought new sand seemed like a hassle with everything else.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have plenty of friends, pizza and beer and extra saltwater. Sounds like you have a plan. As far as sand, I would simply restart the tank bare bottom and either eventual add new sand at a later date, or completely wash and rinse old salt and add that back in. The reason I say start bare bottom is that's one last thing you need to do to get the tank up and running. You want your rock directly on the glass/Plexiglas bottom anyway. And adding sand after the fact is very easy. Give me a minute and I'll show or link how I do it.

Found it: Adding Sand to Established Tank LINK

Last edited:

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you use the R2R search function on the 10s of 1000s of well documented "moving my tank" threads

Threads from moving from different levels within a house to moving clear across the U.S.

OP
OP
D

Damion123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys. I will be adding some battery powered air stones and extra bins to the list. I will be rinsing my sand or look into getting new sand. Thanks guys

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved my 125 60 miles 3 years ago with no loses.
I posted a thread about it but it is long.

Basically I put everything in vats including the rocks, water and gravel. Rented a truck and moved it. The day before I bought a new tank (because mine was all scratched) and put it in the new house. But if I had to bring my old tank, it would not be a problem.

I brought salt water with me because much of my old water was very muddy as the tan was in that house for 40 years and I run a reverse undergravel filter.

I used some of my old water to rinse my old gravel, then used a lot of the new water I brought to fill the tank. I didn't use any heaters or air pumps for the ride out there.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back