I have a Red Sea Reefer 525XL softies tank with curent population :
- 1 Copperband
- 1 lavender tang
- mated pair of royal grammas
- mated pair of neon gobies
- 1 firefish
- 2 pseudanthias dispar
- 3 blue/green chromis

Corals are only softies, mainly big ones such as sinularia, nephtea, lobophyton, sarcophyton, some ricordea, pachyclavularia and clove polyps. The majority is more than 5 years so they are quite big now.

1 - I would like to add some yellow with one last big fish, but can't decide on what fish should be the best option in my setup (I would like to keep the CBB happy/unstressed and not to put my corals into too much danger)

I like the following fishes but none of them is the perfect choice as it may be too agressive for the CBB, or "reef safe with caution", or maybe too big :
- foxface
- yellow longnose butterflyfish
- yellow tang
- red sea regal angel

What do you think would be the best bet ?

2 - I like the pearly / yellow head jawfish : would a pair be a possible choice or is it a too shy fish for my tank ?

3 - I would like to add a bottom dweller (one sand sifting goby) and a wrasse (blue star, yellow or iridis).
Are they compatible with yellowheads jawfish or will they destroy their burrows ?

Thank you for your help !

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might consider a Fox Face over another tang but even then, the tank might not be big enough for both. Would be risking the corals with the angel. You can go with a yellow coris wrasse and midas blenny to get the yellow you are looking for, and a diamond goby to sift the sand. Do you have a lid?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the foxface. 5x2 is enough, in my opinion. They do get large though.
Yellow 'coris' and midas blenny are both great fish too.

I don't know much about jawfish.

The 3 wrasses you listed would all be fine, and you could probably even do all 3.

OP
OP
Talistoria

Talistoria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your answers !

I do have a lid.

I had a midas some years ago but it never went yellow in my tanks. I bought it as a yellow online, received it light brown, but after a few days it turned very dark brown with blue hues all over the body and never got back to yellow, even in new tanks. Pretty color too but I would like to be sure to have the yellow as my tank is mostly pink/green with all the softies. If I could have the insurance that it will stay yellow I would certainly go for it as I loved his behavior.

Would it be too much bioload if I added :
- pair of yellow head jawfish (?)
- 1 midas
- 1 to 3 different wrasses
- 1 sand sifting (diamond or wardi)
- 1 foxface eventually, but may be too big (must rehome in the long term ?)

FortyFour44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of it depends on whether or not you add the fox face given its potential size. You have some centerpiece fish already so why risk it? That being said, marinepure blocks would help.

Also, not sure what kind of aggression might exist between the jawfish pair and goby. Would suggest an acclimation box and fish trap, and adding maybe adding the goby after.

OP
OP
Talistoria

Talistoria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have some centerpiece fish already so why risk it?
Because the CBB is mostly diving in the rockwork and the caves, he jumps to the front glass whenever someone comes near the tank but for the rest wee see it from time to time. The tang is a greyish pink and the dispars kind of a pink peach, they are barely noticeable with the softies that are mostly in pink shades. The grammas are always in their hangout in the corner back so never see them unless it is feedeing time, neon gobies are very active everywhere but also very small, firefish has his spot and hardly moves away from it... in the end the fish that are the most visible are the chromis. I love all my fish but the tank visualy feels quite empty tbh. Yellow would definitely pops out in the tank (but not if it is at the cost of the wellbeing of the fish of course, if a big fish is too much I'll go with smaller).

I don't know what is marinepure, thanks I'll check that. (I have skimmer and cheato reactor in sump already)

And yes if jawfish where to be added, I would add them before any other new fish, so that they will be able to settle in before other sand fish come in. My main concern for now would be to add them with the tang already here. He is mellow but it is a swimmer, maybe it is too much movement for the jawfish pair ?

Back