Advice Needed - Dropped HD32 LED in Tank

NewRobert

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 22, 2020
Messages
95
Reaction score
63
Location
South Africa
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have dropped my AI Prime HD32 into the tank by accident (mount clip came off the glass). I have opened the bottom with the 4 screws, blew it out with compressed air as much as I could and have it in front of a 300mm extraction fan now. It was on sort-of-moonlight mode when it dropped into the water and was still shining underneath the water. Some water did enter the chassis and was sitting on the circuit board when I opened it up.

I plan to leave it in front of the fan for the night (it's 1am now) and tomorrow will put it outside in the african sun for the day before trying to connect it up again.

I just wanted to ask - Is there anything anyone can think of beyond what I am already doing that I can try beyond this to protect it or prevent any damage? I think my main concern is water shorting out or corrosion from the salt?

Thank you in advance

20241221_002929.jpg
 
it’ll likely corrode after awhile - Could be a month, half a year or enough time for you to replace it anyways, it’s unknown.

For best results what I would do is to fully disassemble the PCB, wash it in deionized water or IPA to remove any salt deposits and than run it through an ultrasonic cleaner.

Try contacting phone/computer repair shops that deal with water damage - they’ll likely have the tools to do it properly and it should significantly lengthen the lifespan.

What I wouldn’t do until you’re 100% sure you done everything you possibly can - is to connect it to power, even if it does work, it’ll accelerate corrosion underneath SMD components, and cleaning it off afterwords would require board rework, which probably wouldn’t be cost effective.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 18.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new