Advice needed: What’s next?

Mmonk005

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
42g bowfront. I’ve had 2 clown fish for 2 weeks, as of today. I have a HOB refugium on the way, as well as an HOB skimmer. Cycle seems to be working well and I think I’m ready to add something to the tank. I’m noticing a little food in certain spots on the bottom and around the rock.
Question is, what should I add? I eventually plan on a nem, some corals, and a mandarin though I know that’s all on down the road. For a cleanup crew, should I go there now? Should I go pistol shrimp and goby? Something else?

reefbandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has tank been setup? Regarding the food on the bottom this may be a sign you do not have enough flow. What powerheads do you have in the tank? Also, have you done any water changes and syphoned the sand bed?

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
42g bowfront. I’ve had 2 clown fish for 2 weeks, as of today. I have a HOB refugium on the way, as well as an HOB skimmer. Cycle seems to be working well and I think I’m ready to add something to the tank. I’m noticing a little food in certain spots on the bottom and around the rock.
Question is, what should I add? I eventually plan on a nem, some corals, and a mandarin though I know that’s all on down the road. For a cleanup crew, should I go there now? Should I go pistol shrimp and goby? Something else?
If the clownfish are doing fine and your parameters are stable (0 nitrites 0 ammonia0 then you could definitely do a cuc. Trochus snails, nassarius snails, maybe some small hermits. Shrimp and goby is up to you, if your heart desires ;) Corals can be added earlier than nems and mandarins, but I'd still suggest waiting for the tank to mature and for parameters to stabilize. I'd rec getting the refugium before the mandarin for a copepod colony.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re-aim your powerheads. You don’t need the powerheads blasting the coral, you need the water to circulate around the tank. Move the powerheads or head, around until you see the actual food or detritus move from the spot. If the flow is too strong I.e. sand blasting everywhere, lower the speed if you can. If your powerheads are non-adjustable you’re going to have to fiddle around with the adjustments until you get it just right. I know it looks better to have the powerheads symmetrical on both sides of the tank but you might need to offset them to get the flow right. One higher or lower or closer to the front or back. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Mmonk005

Mmonk005

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has tank been setup? Regarding the food on the bottom this may be a sign you do not have enough flow. What powerheads do you have in the tank? Also, have you done any water changes and syphoned the sand bed?
Tank has been going 6 or 7 weeks. Probably 7.

I have one MP10 and then a cheap power head. I have another MP10 that just came in, but I’m waiting on the rubber spacer to arrive. I could probably use advice on positioning the MP10s.

No water changes (am doing one today) and have not siphoned the sand bed.

OP
OP
Mmonk005

Mmonk005

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re-aim your powerheads. You don’t need the powerheads blasting the coral, you need the water to circulate around the tank. Move the powerheads or head, around until you see the actual food or detritus move from the spot. If the flow is too strong I.e. sand blasting everywhere, lower the speed if you can. If your powerheads are non-adjustable you’re going to have to fiddle around with the adjustments until you get it just right. I know it looks better to have the powerheads symmetrical on both sides of the tank but you might need to offset them to get the flow right. One higher or lower or closer to the front or back. Hope that helps.
That helps. I’ll try to get pictures when I get back from my run.

OP
OP
Mmonk005

Mmonk005

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the clownfish are doing fine and your parameters are stable (0 nitrites 0 ammonia0 then you could definitely do a cuc. Trochus snails, nassarius snails, maybe some small hermits. Shrimp and goby is up to you, if your heart desires ;) Corals can be added earlier than nems and mandarins, but I'd still suggest waiting for the tank to mature and for parameters to stabilize. I'd rec getting the refugium before the mandarin for a copepod colony.
Anything I need to know about the shrimp and goby pair? That wink gives me pause.

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything I need to know about the shrimp and goby pair? That wink gives me pause.
Nothing really, except for maybe that some people have difficulties with successfully pairing them, if it's the symbiotic relationship you're looking 4. Didn't mean anything by the wink lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back