Advice needed

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The copper was in for 38 days and the trigger is the only fish in the tank

Flukes take time to develop on a fish. So - a fish arrives and the first type of infection you might see is bacterial, due to damage during shipping. If that is avoided, the next type of infection that shows up is protozoan (thus the reason for running copper first). After that, over a period of weeks to months, fluke populations can build on the fish. That's why we follow up later with prazi.

While you can run prazi and copper at the same time, I try to avoid that. You could do a water change to reduce the copper and then dose prazi for possible flukes,

jay

OP
OP
D

duanejon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes take time to develop on a fish. So - a fish arrives and the first type of infection you might see is bacterial, due to damage during shipping. If that is avoided, the next type of infection that shows up is protozoan (thus the reason for running copper first). After that, over a period of weeks to months, fluke populations can build on the fish. That's why we follow up later with prazi.

While you can run prazi and copper at the same time, I try to avoid that. You could do a water change to reduce the copper and then dose prazi for possible flukes,

jay
Thank you Jay. It’s a tough hobby. So far no scratching or rubbing today. The spots are in the same place he had before Does it make sense to take him out and treat in a smaller tank if it’s flukes. ? Thinking flukes would still be in the water

OP
OP
D

duanejon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay. It’s a tough hobby. So far no scratching or rubbing today. The spots are in the same place he had before Does it make sense to take him out and treat in a smaller tank if it’s flukes. ? Thinking flukes would still be in the water
Starting to scratch on bottom again. I have some resin to take out the copper. Will the resin take out the prazi also. I know there is potential for blooms by mixing the meds

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to scratch on bottom again. I have some resin to take out the copper. Will the resin take out the prazi also. I know there is potential for blooms by mixing the meds

Which version of prazi do you have?

Generally, UV and chemical filtration is best avoided when dosing any medication. Skimmers need to be run, but stop collecting skimmate when dosing prazi.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back