Advice needed

duanejon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on the 38th day of coppersafe treatment for velvet. Only have one trigger left. I changed out 40% of water on the 38th day , yesterday as there was no longer a sign of the parasites. Today it seems there are some parasites on the skin and fish is scraping sand. I can see the spots. The copper level was 2 to 2.5 during treatment period. The water change brought level down to 1.5. Do I need to add coppersafe back to get it back to 2.0 and treat for another week? I’ve hD the Niger trigger for about 6 weeks now. He eats great and is active swimmer I was about to take out more Copper with resin that removes it but it doesn’t appear that the parasites are gone

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on the 38th day of coppersafe treatment for velvet. Only have one trigger left. I changed out 40% of water on the 38th day , yesterday as there was no longer a sign of the parasites. Today it seems there are some parasites on the skin and fish is scraping sand. I can see the spots. The copper level was 2 to 2.5 during treatment period. The water change brought level down to 1.5. Do I need to add coppersafe back to get it back to 2.0 and treat for another week? I’ve hD the Niger trigger for about 6 weeks now. He eats great and is active swimmer I was about to take out more Copper with resin that removes it but it doesn’t appear that the parasites are gone
To be completely thorough I believe the copper treatment has to go back to day one due to the fact it dropped down to 1.5 ppm and it is showing signs of infection again. Coppersafe typically isnt effective until its over 2ppm.

OP
OP
D

duanejon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be completely thorough I believe the copper treatment has to go back to day one due to the fact it dropped down to 1.5 ppm and it is showing signs of infection again. Coppersafe typically isnt effective until its over 2ppm.
Sure seems to take a while to eradicate the velvet. I thought 38 days woujd have been long enough. There were no symptoms for the past 4/5 days. I will hang with it. Good news it’s a 125 gallon with just the one fish

OP
OP
D

duanejon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure seems to take a while to eradicate the velvet. I thought 38 days woujd have been long enough. There were no symptoms for the past 4/5 days. I will hang with it. Good news it’s a 125 gallon with just the one fish

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would listen to Jay once he is available to help. Is it possible to get a smaller tank with no rock or sand in it? it would be cheaper and easier to dose as well. I think Copper and chloroquine phosphate are the only treatments for velvet and a FW dip helps as a temporary relief NOT a cure but if the fish is swimming well I might skip due to the cause of extra stress on the fish during a dip but again Jay is much more knowledgeable than I

OP
OP
D

duanejon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to this - is the sand in the tank aragonite (calcium carbonate) sand or silica/quartz sand? To my understanding, calcium carbonate sands can interfere with copper treatment.
Calcium carbonate sand. My LFS folks advised that the sand can absorb copper

OP
OP
D

duanejon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would listen to Jay once he is available to help. Is it possible to get a smaller tank with no rock or sand in it? it would be cheaper and easier to dose as well. I think Copper and chloroquine phosphate are the only treatments for velvet and a FW dip helps as a temporary relief NOT a cure but if the fish is swimming well I might skip due to the cause of extra stress on the fish during a dip but again Jay is much more knowledgeable than I
I try to avoid the freshwater dips unless all else fails. They definitely seem to weaken the fish and are only a temporary solution

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe crushed coral
Skip any crushed coral, seashells, or typical reef rock, as they’re calcium carbonate based too.

You typically want some PVC pipes for the fish to hide in, and if the fish need sand, then silica/quartz sand.
Calcium carbonate sand. My LFS folks advised that the sand can absorb copper
Yeah, it binds with the copper and can interfere with/wreck an otherwise good QT:
This is where our remote treatment of your fish is difficult. I'm looking over your pictures and it just struck me - you have like 2" of coral sand in the tank that you are dosing with copper! That opens up a whole slew of issues and questions: Calcium carbonate materials bind with copper medications to different levels, but it always something to be avoided. What test kit are you using to measure the current, active copper level?

OP
OP
D

duanejon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip any crushed coral, seashells, or typical reef rock, as they’re calcium carbonate based too.

You typically want some PVC pipes for the fish to hide in, and if the fish need sand, then silica/quartz sand.

Yeah, it binds with the copper and can interfere with/wreck an otherwise good QT:

The LFS is measuring the copper each day Not sure what kind of device it is but there is a readout after about 60 seconds the sand is probably the reason it was so difficult to get the copper level over 2.0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice the tanks at the LFS often have no bottom

Sorry - I was offline overnight....

30+ days of coppersafe should have been sufficient for all protozoans. Additionally, do I understand that the symptoms showed up while there was still copper in the water? If so, that seems to point to another issue, not a protozoan.

The fish could have flukes. Copper does not help with that. The fish scratching on the bottom also is a symptom of flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
D

duanejon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I was offline overnight....

30+ days of coppersafe should have been sufficient for all protozoans. Additionally, do I understand that the symptoms showed up while there was still copper in the water? If so, that seems to point to another issue, not a protozoan.

The fish could have flukes. Copper does not help with that. The fish scratching on the bottom also is a symptom of flukes.

Jay
That’s what I was concerned about also. I don’t think you can mix Cooper with prazi

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back