Advice on bubble algae in 10g mixed reef/macro tank

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My 10g office tank has a growing bubble algae problem. It isn't overrunning anything, but there are little bubbles all over. I've tossed around the idea of a ReefCleaners emerald crab, but I also have a lot of macro in my tank that I want to keep (see below all details on my tank). So far, I've just been popping most of the small ones and trying to remove the larger ones that are accessible. They are back in larger numbers nearly every day. I'm clearly not winning that war. I have read about popping bubbles causing more spread but also read opposing opinions as well as some information that they only sexually mature after growth to a certain size (I cannot tell the accuracy of any of this information). Any advice from the pros?

Details of my tank below:

Specs:
Tank: IM Nuvo 10g AIO
Salt: HG mixing at 1.026sg/~7.3kDh/~500+Ca (upper range of Red Sea test) --> Baking Soda added to ~8.5kDh (Red Sea kit with dropper)
Rocks: Gulf live rock (TBS)
Sand: Gulf live sand (TBS)
Light: AI Prime 16HD running Saxby modified to AB+ (upper 60%s/low 70%s with 3DReef diffuser)
Filtration: Filter floss (changed Fridays, rinsed M-W) + ROX carbon/Purigen (monthly change) + PhosGuard (see below) in chamber 1 Intank Media Basket; Gulf rock rubble in chamber 2

Measurements (all Red Sea, except PO4 Salifert):
NO3 has been reading at ~10ppm
PO4 stubbornly reading at ~1ppm (continually adding/replacing PhosGuard till it starts coming down)
Alk has been dropping from 8ish to 7ish and I am working on dosing to stabilize at ~8.5-9--currently doing daily 1-2g water changes to keep it up
Ca seems to remain high at the upper range of the test kit (480-500+)

Inhabitants:
1x Crocea Clam
1x single head torch
1x splitting head hammer (not too happy lately)
1x single head octospawn (also not entirely happy)
1x Mint pavona
1x Cephastraea-like hitchhiker coral
1x cup coral hitchhiker
1x Zoa/Clove island
4x RFA
1x Rainbow microfavia
1x Brotycladia
1x Pom Pom gracilaria
1x Galaxaura
1x Pencil cap (bubble algae growing in between the needles!)
1x large codium
1x Tailspot Blenny
1x Exquisitie Firefish
1x Nassarius vibex
~5x Nerites
~5x Astraeas
~20x dwarf ceriths
~7x Ceriths
~10x periwinkle snails
1x Spotted anemone crab
1x Green porcelain crab
1x Pom pom crab
1x Sexy shrimp
Lots of worms, tunicates, brittle stars, micro brittle stars, sponges, etc.

Feeding:
1x/day (M-T-W-Th-F): 250 microliter (uL = 1/4mL) phyto OR RUSalty Naturose + 250uL RUSalty Oyster Egg Feast + 250uL RUSalty Coral Ecstacy OR RUSalty Zu Feast + 250uL RUSalty Ova Feast + ~5-10 medium TDO pellets + ~10-20 small TDO pellets (I try to feed the nems and firefish medium TDO pellets and the blenny/firefish small pellets); Fridays = special chopped frozen krill treat for crabs/nems and 2 pellet feedings for the fish to hold them over the weekend.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I manually remove bubble algae with a metal fingernail file placed underneath the bubble to pry it off. The rock is pulled outside the tank and rinsed afterward with RODI or saltwater. My experience with popping them is that it releases spores all over my tank. It has been a battle to eliminate them.

DiamondCoralsLLC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My 10g office tank has a growing bubble algae problem. It isn't overrunning anything, but there are little bubbles all over. I've tossed around the idea of a ReefCleaners emerald crab, but I also have a lot of macro in my tank that I want to keep (see below all details on my tank). So far, I've just been popping most of the small ones and trying to remove the larger ones that are accessible. They are back in larger numbers nearly every day. I'm clearly not winning that war. I have read about popping bubbles causing more spread but also read opposing opinions as well as some information that they only sexually mature after growth to a certain size (I cannot tell the accuracy of any of this information). Any advice from the pros?

Details of my tank below:

Specs:
Tank: IM Nuvo 10g AIO
Salt: HG mixing at 1.026sg/~7.3kDh/~500+Ca (upper range of Red Sea test) --> Baking Soda added to ~8.5kDh (Red Sea kit with dropper)
Rocks: Gulf live rock (TBS)
Sand: Gulf live sand (TBS)
Light: AI Prime 16HD running Saxby modified to AB+ (upper 60%s/low 70%s with 3DReef diffuser)
Filtration: Filter floss (changed Fridays, rinsed M-W) + ROX carbon/Purigen (monthly change) + PhosGuard (see below) in chamber 1 Intank Media Basket; Gulf rock rubble in chamber 2

Measurements (all Red Sea, except PO4 Salifert):
NO3 has been reading at ~10ppm
PO4 stubbornly reading at ~1ppm (continually adding/replacing PhosGuard till it starts coming down)
Alk has been dropping from 8ish to 7ish and I am working on dosing to stabilize at ~8.5-9--currently doing daily 1-2g water changes to keep it up
Ca seems to remain high at the upper range of the test kit (480-500+)

Inhabitants:
1x Crocea Clam
1x single head torch
1x splitting head hammer (not too happy lately)
1x single head octospawn (also not entirely happy)
1x Mint pavona
1x Cephastraea-like hitchhiker coral
1x cup coral hitchhiker
1x Zoa/Clove island
4x RFA
1x Rainbow microfavia
1x Brotycladia
1x Pom Pom gracilaria
1x Galaxaura
1x Pencil cap (bubble algae growing in between the needles!)
1x large codium
1x Tailspot Blenny
1x Exquisitie Firefish
1x Nassarius vibex
~5x Nerites
~5x Astraeas
~20x dwarf ceriths
~7x Ceriths
~10x periwinkle snails
1x Spotted anemone crab
1x Green porcelain crab
1x Pom pom crab
1x Sexy shrimp
Lots of worms, tunicates, brittle stars, micro brittle stars, sponges, etc.

Feeding:
1x/day (M-T-W-Th-F): 250 microliter (uL = 1/4mL) phyto OR RUSalty Naturose + 250uL RUSalty Oyster Egg Feast + 250uL RUSalty Coral Ecstacy OR RUSalty Zu Feast + 250uL RUSalty Ova Feast + ~5-10 medium TDO pellets + ~10-20 small TDO pellets (I try to feed the nems and firefish medium TDO pellets and the blenny/firefish small pellets); Fridays = special chopped frozen krill treat for crabs/nems and 2 pellet feedings for the fish to hold them over the weekend.
cut back on feeding, cut lights to 6 hours a day max for about 2 weeks daily 1 gal water changes

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t have a problem with the emerald crab and those algae’s you have, he will most likely prefer the bubble.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t have a problem with the emerald crab and those algae’s you have, he will most likely prefer the bubble.
Thanks. I'll check with John at ReefCleaners too. My priority is protect the crocea, fish (tailspot and firefish), porcelain/nem crabs and the Euphyllia. Hopefully an emerald in a small tank like that won't cause problems.

The codium grows too much, so there's that. The pom pom gracilaria seems the most at risk, but I have a ton growing in my other tank and can always transplant... Sounds good!

Back