Advice on fish stocking [WB MiniP 25]

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to add 3 more fish to my Waterbox Mini Peninsula 25 [WB MP25].

The tank is currently 18+ months established and is barebottom. You can find my build HERE

I currently have a clown who is about 2.5-3" long and a royal gramma. I had a damsel but he was too much of a bully and needed to get rehomed. There is also a cleaner shrimp.

I just recently bought and lost (within a few days) a baby clown and a tailspot blenny. I tend to replace them both.

I know I want another clown as I am told over and over get your clown a friend.

Even though it was only 2-3 days I loved the TSB. I loved how it wasn't out all the time but would come out and graze! Eating the free algae yes!!!

I have a shipment of corals from WWC coming on Tues. Monday I am sending out an ICP to make sure there is no issues with my water. After the corals, water test I want to get some more fish.

If I buy those two fish I'm considering:

• Hector Goby (Ambligobius Hectori)
  • Purple Firefish Goby M (Nemateleotris Decora)
  • Clown Yellow Goby (Gobiodon Okinawae)

Questions/Concerns:
  1. Compatibility: any issues with one of these three fish being with two clowns, an RG and a TSB?
  2. Barebottom: do any on this list need a substrate
  3. I'm considering adding all three fish at same time.
    1. I recently gave up my damsel and it was bigger than the clown
    2. I assume I have the bioload to support this add as the clown will be small, the TSB is a stick. I would doubt the 3 new fish is much more that the damsel I removed.
  4. Does anyone think this is too much fish?
Thanks in advance!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't have that many In a 25 gal. However my opinion can be changed slightly if there were a bunch of rocks to create safe places.

Clowns are awful little creatures. If you have 1 now and it's not mean, I wouldn't add another.

Lastly losing fish isn't a normal thing. Either acclimation issues or disease could be at fault. If disease, I would be concerned for both current and new fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to add 3 more fish to my Waterbox Mini Peninsula 25 [WB MP25].

The tank is currently 18+ months established and is barebottom. You can find my build HERE

I currently have a clown who is about 2.5-3" long and a royal gramma. I had a damsel but he was too much of a bully and needed to get rehomed. There is also a cleaner shrimp.

I just recently bought and lost (within a few days) a baby clown and a tailspot blenny. I tend to replace them both.

I know I want another clown as I am told over and over get your clown a friend.

Even though it was only 2-3 days I loved the TSB. I loved how it wasn't out all the time but would come out and graze! Eating the free algae yes!!!

I have a shipment of corals from WWC coming on Tues. Monday I am sending out an ICP to make sure there is no issues with my water. After the corals, water test I want to get some more fish.

If I buy those two fish I'm considering:

• Hector Goby (Ambligobius Hectori)
  • Purple Firefish Goby M (Nemateleotris Decora)
  • Clown Yellow Goby (Gobiodon Okinawae)

Questions/Concerns:
  1. Compatibility: any issues with one of these three fish being with two clowns, an RG and a TSB?
  2. Barebottom: do any on this list need a substrate
  3. I'm considering adding all three fish at same time.
    1. I recently gave up my damsel and it was bigger than the clown
    2. I assume I have the bioload to support this add as the clown will be small, the TSB is a stick. I would doubt the 3 new fish is much more that the damsel I removed.
  4. Does anyone think this is too much fish?
Thanks in advance!
I wouldn’t add another fish considering clowns can be nasty but so can RG’s. The size of the clown makes me think it’s a female. Females are ruthless when protecting territory and they claim a lot of it.
My female killed her own male over territory, and this was in a 4’ tank. I would definitely assume your clown and RG killed your new fish.

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use an acclimation box when you get new fish. I like my newbies eating in a 10g, kind of qt but not really. I keep them in there 2 weeks or so until they are eating and look healthy eniugh to be thrown into the playground with the big kids. 4 fish max is all I would put in a 25g. 3 might be best if the clown is a bully.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't have that many In a 25 gal. However my opinion can be changed slightly if there were a bunch of rocks to create safe places.
Hi! Thank you for taking time out to reply!

Just to make sure I am explaining myself. Currently there is a clown, a royal gramma and a cleaner skunk.

You feel adding 3 fish (clown, TSB, and adding 1 gobby would be too much?

Clowns are awful little creatures. If you have 1 now and it's not mean, I wouldn't add another.
You are the first person to tell me that. Everyone always says get her a friend. I'm not saying you are wrong. It's just something to consider.

Lastly losing fish isn't a normal thing. Either acclimation issues or disease could be at fault. If disease, I would be concerned for both current and new fish.
I floated the bags for 20 min and did a drip for 25-30 min. I even reduced the water in the bucket that tank water was being dripped into every 10 min.

I am a bit nervous to be frank.

Again,, thank you for the help and advice!

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t add another fish considering clowns can be nasty but so can RG’s. The size of the clown makes me think it’s a female. Females are ruthless when protecting territory and they claim a lot of it.
My female killed her own male over territory, and this was in a 4’ tank. I would definitely assume your clown and RG killed your new fish.

I'm not going to insist but I really don't think it was them. The female was actually swimming with him the first 24-48 hours. Also would chase the RG away. They would curl up on the bottom at night.

I even saw the RG chase the cleaner away from the small clown.

Sun. both female clown and RG went to the TSB but left after. The TSB was hiding sunday, mon, tues and wed was out and about grazing.

Perhaps I shouldn't get another clown. I removed the damsel b/c he was a bully, not looking to recreate that scenario.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use an acclimation box when you get new fish. I like my newbies eating in a 10g, kind of qt but not really. I keep them in there 2 weeks or so until they are eating and look healthy eniugh to be thrown into the playground with the big kids. 4 fish max is all I would put in a 25g. 3 might be best if the clown is a bully.

Going off what people are saying, perhaps I should skip the clown.
Consideration is TSB and a gobby.

I like the idea of an acclimation box. I may make one and go from there.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Thank you for taking time out to reply!

Just to make sure I am explaining myself. Currently there is a clown, a royal gramma and a cleaner skunk.

You feel adding 3 fish (clown, TSB, and adding 1 gobby would be too much?

You are the first person to tell me that. Everyone always says get her a friend. I'm not saying you are wrong. It's just something to consider.

I floated the bags for 20 min and did a drip for 25-30 min. I even reduced the water in the bucket that tank water was being dripped into every 10 min.

I am a bit nervous to be frank.

Again,, thank you for the help and advice!
After 5 years I only have 9 fish in a 90g.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't doubt your experience or thought process.

I just wanted to make sure I was clear and didn't paint the picture that I wanted to have 7 fish in my MP25.

:)

trsmith18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't doubt your experience or thought process.

I just wanted to make sure I was clear and didn't paint the picture that I wanted to have 7 fish in my MP25.

:)
I don’t think adding the fish your asking about would be too much.

not sure of the current aquascape but as long as your fish occupy different swim zones/territories you should be good

also adding all three at the same time is the way to go to spread out aggression.

your acclimation practices seem fine. Some fish are doom to die based on handling practices that are out of our control prior to us receiving them.

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think adding the fish your asking about would be too much.

not sure of the current aquascape but as long as your fish occupy different swim zones/territories you should be good

also adding all three at the same time is the way to go to spread out aggression.

your acclimation practices seem fine. Some fish are doom to die based on handling practices that are out of our control prior to us receiving them.
Fish that are doomed to die should never see our display tanks. I have had multiple fish in poor shape that are fine after a few days in a quiet dark small tank to themselves. Get them eating and healthy looking before adding is best for sure. Every new fish is a possible disease carrier.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish that are doomed to die should never see our display tanks. I have had multiple fish in poor shape that are fine after a few days in a quiet dark small tank to themselves. Get them eating and healthy looking before adding is best for sure. Every new fish is a possible disease carrier.
I can't argue with you. We should all be maintaining responsible practices.

I should be QT my fish, corals and inverts there is no question. Unfort. I'm not in a position to have a 2nd take. Esp. when my primary is almost the size of the QT tank.

But you are right, we should all be QT.

I thought buying from a LFS w/in 30 min of my house would remove a ton of stress. Unfort. that wasn't the case.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back