Advice on Numbers

newsalth2o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK got some base numbers from my two Amazon.com test kits happening.
RO water looks like this
ammonia 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 phosphate 0 calcium <20 carbonate <1 Ph 7.8
Tank
ammonia 0 nitrate 20 nitrite 0 phosphate 0.5 calcium 400 carbonate 6 Ph 8.2 salinity 1.025 temp 78
most tankers look happy. I think Calcium is low? Should be about 500? carbonate is low? should be 9?
Any thoughts? Recommended additives?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your calcium isn't too low. Most people aim for somewhere between 400 and 450. Maintaining level higher than that are difficult with sufficient alk levels. Your best bet is to buy a 2 part doing system to raise tour calcium and alkalinity. There are many popular options such as b-ionic, brightwells, Bulk reef supply, etc.. Any of them will work and its really just a matter of personal preference.

OP
OP
N

newsalth2o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK checked out that sticky. Now the measure there is alkalinity and magnesium. How do you convert calcium and/or carbonate to alkalinity? Havent even considered magnesium. Am I missing something serious here?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium is also something for which you ought to test. West test kit are you using from Amazon? What are the units of the carbonate?

CJ

coralfarm123

INDMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a test for Alk if you don't have one. It is the one that should tested most often and can fluctuate the most. ALK, Calcium, and Mag are the most important to maintain, with ALK being the most important of all. I test it the most and I think most others do as well.

OP
OP
N

newsalth2o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok going to answer all in one. API test kits. Carbonate is in dKH converted to PPM KH mine would be 107.4
If I understand correctly calcium should be in the form of calcium carbonate. So this leads me to believe that the calcium and carbonate numbers have some relation to the effect the water can take or give calcium? Maybe I am just naieve too. I use the dip strips once a week and the alkalinity has been running about 120.

OP
OP
N

newsalth2o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some more help. Added a 20 gal sump and moved all equipment to sump. Based on these numbers what would recommend for my next purchase. Protein skimmer or Phosphate reactor? Running a bag of charcoal and ammonia absorber in the sump also.
Amminia 0
Nitiite 0
Nitrate 5
Phosphate 0.5
calcium 460
carbonate 6
Alkalinity 120
Ph 8.2

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protein skimmer should definitely be your next purchase. Don't skimp either, spend the money on a good skimmer you'll be glad you did.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back