Advice on QT tank

rporter996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few questions on setting up a QT tank. Currently I have everything needed 10g tank HOB filter, couple of air stones, heater and a lid. I'm wondering if I should cycle the tank as I usually end up going to the fish store and come home with something so I would always like the tank to be ready to go. I assume I should cycle the tank? I don't plan on doing much preventative treatment maybe some prazipro. I mainly want to use it for observation and if I see something then I'll take action. I'm not sure if this is a great idea just looking for some advice on what you all think.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can if you have space/desire to leave it up and running 24/7 but I personally only keep it up when needed! If you add media and live rock from the display in addition to bottled bacteria! You skip/limit the cycle and it’s more of a tank transfer. If you see any ammonia then you perform large water changes and monitor it very closely. This is what I do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s there to cycle? Im guessing the HOB has some media to hold bacteria but otherwise it’s an empty tank. I have a 20G that I keep ready by taking 5-10G of my DT water when I do water changes.
I does have media I just haven't put it in yet I wanted to see what everyone said first. I may pickup a pack of bio cubes and put a couple just in the tank on the bare bottom as well.

Upvote 0

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I does have media I just haven't put it in yet I wanted to see what everyone said first. I may pickup a pack of bio cubes and put a couple just in the tank on the bare bottom as well.
Okay. People way better than me around QT and hospital tanks but I remember seeing discussions about having too much media affects copper dosing / treatment and some other things. Not saying anything wrong with bio media just be aware

Upvote 0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 155 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back