Advice on QT tank

rporter996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few questions on setting up a QT tank. Currently I have everything needed 10g tank HOB filter, couple of air stones, heater and a lid. I'm wondering if I should cycle the tank as I usually end up going to the fish store and come home with something so I would always like the tank to be ready to go. I assume I should cycle the tank? I don't plan on doing much preventative treatment maybe some prazipro. I mainly want to use it for observation and if I see something then I'll take action. I'm not sure if this is a great idea just looking for some advice on what you all think.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling the QT is always a good idea. You can run HOB on your display tank for a bit, so you can transfer it later to QT.
I have a feeling that many people here would recommend medicated quarantine rather than simple observational. I do not have enough personal experience to advice you on that, although I did do it myself recently, but I was keeping fish in a larger frag tank for several months before putting them to DT. Some species are notoriously prone to certain diseases, so it may depend on what you buying.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling the QT is always a good idea. You can run HOB on your display tank for a bit, so you can transfer it later to QT.
I have a feeling that many people here would recommend medicated quarantine rather than simple observational. I do not have enough personal experience to advice you on that, although I did do it myself recently, but I was keeping fish in a larger frag tank for several months before putting them to DT. Some species are notoriously prone to certain diseases, so it may depend on what you buying.
Okay sounds like I'll fill it up and cycle the tank. What should I do once it's cycled and I don't have fish to QT in it?

Upvote 0

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I’d keep some bio blocks/balls in my sump and move them over to a HOB/quarantine, tank, do your observation unit thing, then throw out the bio block or balls. Always keep a few bio-whatever’s in your sump for use.

I haven’t heard of someone keeping a QT tank up and running but I’d say an emerald crab or hermit crab and some ghost feeding would work. Sounds like a PITA to me personally.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I’d keep some bio blocks/balls in my sump and move them over to a HOB/quarantine, tank, do your observation unit thing, then throw out the bio block or balls. Always keep a few bio-whatever’s in your sump for use.

I haven’t heard of someone keeping a QT tank up and running but I’d say an emerald crab or hermit crab and some ghost feeding would work. Sounds like a PITA to me personally.
Oh alright! That's why I'm here that's a great idea thank you.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a few questions on setting up a QT tank. Currently I have everything needed 10g tank HOB filter, couple of air stones, heater and a lid. I'm wondering if I should cycle the tank as I usually end up going to the fish store and come home with something so I would always like the tank to be ready to go. I assume I should cycle the tank? I don't plan on doing much preventative treatment maybe some prazipro. I mainly want to use it for observation and if I see something then I'll take action. I'm not sure if this is a great idea just looking for some advice on what you all think.
Often, you can place a seeded sponge in the hob and occasionally add denitrifying bacteria to the sponge.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I don't think he needs denitryfying bacteria in QT.
In quarantine you want to monitor ammonia and nitrate and often with minimal filtration levels can quickly climb
If you’re treating with copper or prazi, every water change reduces medication content and often disrupts treatment clock even with restoring therapeutic level
Denitrifies added to a sponge or as suggested a seeded sponge helps control ammonia

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In quarantine you want to monitor ammonia and nitrate and often with minimal filtration levels can quickly climb
If you’re treating with copper or prazi, every water change reduces medication content and often disrupts treatment clock even with restoring therapeutic level
Denitrifies added to a sponge or as suggested a seeded sponge helps control ammonia
I don't plan on tresting with anything. It's going to be for a few weeks of observation and if something is spotted then treatment will begin

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t heard of someone keeping a QT tank up and running
Quite a number of people do this, actually. :)

I've been running a QT for the past two years. It's extremely difficult to dose meds legally here, and so observation (and prophylactic dosing of copper) is one of the few things that I can do.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've been running a QT for the past two years. It's extremely difficult to dose meds legally here, and so observation (and prophylactic dosing of copper) is one of the few things that I can do.
What do you have in your QT tank? Is it just empty when you have no fish to QT? Do you just ghost feed it every once in a bit?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Agree/ many keep full time qt/hospital tanks especially those starting a stocking program placing each acquisition in qt

Upvote 0

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought that denitryfing bacteria converts Nitrates to free Nitrogen and nitryfying bacteria are those oxidizing NH3 to Nitrates and nitrates.

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have in your QT tank? Is it just empty when you have no fish to QT? Do you just ghost feed it every once in a bit?
I have fish in it right now, but just have a light on it when it's empty. The bacteria is fine when I don't feed for a few months.

Upvote 0

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT tank and hospital tank are different IME, I use QT tank cycled and always working because it's an observation and adaptation tank for fish, I feed newcomers many times a day; observing, ruling out diseases and fattening a fish enough is the goal of QT tanks IMO, if something goes wrong then I set up a hospital tank that will dismantle when the medication period is over, then I dismantle the QT tank and start again, like this that I always keep biological elements in my sump to use them if necessary.

Upvote 0

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've been running a QT for the past two years. It's extremely difficult to dose meds legally here, and so observation (and prophylactic dosing of copper) is one of the few things that I can
QT tank and hospital tank are different IME, I use QT tank cycled and always working because it's an observation and adaptation tank for fish, I feed newcomers many times a day; observing, ruling out diseases and fattening a fish enough is the goal of QT tanks IMO, if something goes wrong then I set up a hospital tank that will dismantle when the medication period is over, then I dismantle the QT tank and start again, like this that I always keep biological elements in my sump to use them if necessary.
Just come to America where I have to jump thru 15 hoops for drugs but if I say it’s for an animal they throw it at you

I am perhaps a bit outdated on the subject but was taught that after each quarantine the tank should be dropped, scrubbed, and stored/prepared for the next fish.

Here in America you need to jump through hoops for drugs but if they’re for your animals, they throw them at you

Upvote 0

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s there to cycle? Im guessing the HOB has some media to hold bacteria but otherwise it’s an empty tank. I have a 20G that I keep ready by taking 5-10G of my DT water when I do water changes.

Upvote 0

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back