Advice on sigma 50mm macro?

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a cannon t2i and have had my heart set on getting the cannon f2.8 100mm macro lens. My uncle owns a camera shop and offered to sell me a sigma 50 mm for almost nothing. I have been looking for any info I can find on the sigma. Question is should I just take the leap and get the cannon?

Thanks a lot

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll let the pro's elobrate more but with the 50 mm you'll be able to fill the frame with your subject; also you'll have to be on top of the subject for the shot thus blocking light from entering the lens..

but if its dirt cheap i say get it and practice.. i just picked up a fixed 60mm macro with manual focus that i found cheap ultimately i want to get the nikkor 105mm

Bernie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most reviews for Sigma lenses that I've read say they are a bit soft at the higher apertures, but the reviews for this one seem to be very good. I'd go for it, especially if it is significantly less expensive than the Canon lens.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on your budget, but if you have an uncle that owns a camera shop you should be able to get the canon 100mm lens for less than retail. Thats awesome and I would encourage you to go with that one instead of the 50mm. The 100mm canon is an AMAZING lens!

BTW, I would love to buy a lens from your uncle. ;)

STL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 100mm canon is an AMAZING lens!

Agreed!

If you don't already have a tri-pod, budget for one of those... it's very hard to get good macro shots without one - any motion is amplified tremendously when shooting macro

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're planning on ONLY using this lens, for Macro photography, I'd say wait until you get the Canon 100mm. However, if you'll be using it for other things, such as Portraiture and if it's a great price, I'd get it. Prime lenses are exceptional for Portraiture photography.

When it comes to Macro photography, if you want those real close up shots, 50mm just isn't going to get you close enough.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks a ton guys for all the great feedback. I really appreciate it. A good deal is a good deal, but with all the great things I have heard and read about the cannon I'll probably just go ahead and pull the trigger on the 100 mm. Seems like money well spent.

143, You are a long ways from AZ but here is his store.:wink:

Sun Camera

10001 W Bell Road # 146
Sun City, AZ 85351-1286 map
PHOENIX-MESA, AZ Metro Area

Thanks again guys. This photography forum is my favorite reef related photography one by far.

The knowledge here is overwhelming.

Last edited:

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which 100mm 2.8 are you dreaming about getting? The non L 100mm macro is awesome. The L version is good aswell, but it's not worth the extra $450...

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back