Advice on sump/return pump 90 gallon DT

ChunkyBlenny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am halfway done with siliconing my diy baffle kit into my 29 gal sump. Bought a nyros 160 skimmer today for 100$ hopefully it does well. Anyway, wanted to get exact size for the skimmer section, should I put my heater in this section also? next I need to finish the refugium, last baffles(bubble trap) etc.

Main concerns, how much space should I leave in the return section? Just enough for return pump? Can anyone recommend a pump for a 90 gallon ? Eshopps Overflow rated 800gph do I shoot for a 800gph pump,? I was looking at sicce pumps. Now that I have my skimmer a return pump is last crucial thing I need(besides plumbing, helpppp) lol Thank you

17020811956605723252380689107315.jpg

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just my 2 cents but I wouldn't make the chamber for the skimmer that tight, it'll really limit things in the future. leave enough room for two return pumps for redundancy

OP
OP
C

ChunkyBlenny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just my 2 cents but I wouldn't make the chamber for the skimmer that tight, it'll really limit things in the future. leave enough room for two return pumps for redundancy
Okay, haven't glues in yet. How much room should I give the skimmer? Couple inches? Trying to maximize my refuge space. Thank you

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am halfway done with siliconing my diy baffle kit into my 29 gal sump. Bought a nyros 160 skimmer today for 100$ hopefully it does well. Anyway, wanted to get exact size for the skimmer section, should I put my heater in this section also? next I need to finish the refugium, last baffles(bubble trap) etc.

Main concerns, how much space should I leave in the return section? Just enough for return pump? Can anyone recommend a pump for a 90 gallon ? Eshopps Overflow rated 800gph do I shoot for a 800gph pump,? I was looking at sicce pumps. Now that I have my skimmer a return pump is last crucial thing I need(besides plumbing, helpppp) lol Thank you

Okay, haven't glues in yet. How much room should I give the skimmer? Couple inches? Trying to maximize my refuge space. Thank you
Leave room to upgrade both on the skimmer and the return pump.
Sicce pumps are great.
Tunze.
VarioS

Have you thought about using a DC or an AC pump?

OP
OP
C

ChunkyBlenny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave room to upgrade both on the skimmer and the return pump.
Sicce pumps are great.
Tunze.
VarioS

Have you thought about using a DC or an AC pump?
Thanks, likely DC i think. I hear good things bout sicce is the controllable ones worth it? I'll try my best to leave room. Just sucks I can't fit a 40b under my stand the 29 is biggest I can fit. And want some refugium space. Is 5 inches good for return pump section?

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the amount of room in there for a fuge isn't really worth it IMO.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into the ai axis 90. I have one and love it. Absolutely silent

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, likely DC i think. I hear good things bout sicce is the controllable ones worth it? I'll try my best to leave room. Just sucks I can't fit a 40b under my stand the 29 is biggest I can fit. And want some refugium space. Is 5 inches good for return pump section?
The return pump section of my sump is very small. As long as there's enough room to service the pump, the section can be as small as you like (I'd leave at least 1/2 inch on either side of the pump though).

If the pump you want will fit into a 5" wide space, then it will be fine.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would leave enough room so the return pump doesn't touch the walls of the sump.
Until you actually have the pump I would hold off finishing the sump.
You have to take into consideration how the pump is going to sit in the sump and if the angle of the return hose or pipe changes how the pump sits.
There are so many choices for DC pumps and alot of good ones.
My personal favorite are Vectras. They are a little pricey, but IMO very worth it.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had expensive name brand pumps before and guess what. The break just like the knock offs, maybe even faster. Now I use a dc return pump from Amazon and its adjustable and works great. It can do up to 1096gph, I run it around 45-50%, bought it for 73$ in 2017 and never had an issue

OP
OP
C

ChunkyBlenny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had expensive name brand pumps before and guess what. The break just like the knock offs, maybe even faster. Now I use a dc return pump from Amazon and its adjustable and works great. It can do up to 1096gph, I run it around 45-50%, bought it for 73$ in 2017 and never had an issue
I'm looking at some on Amazon. My overflow 800gph eshopps eclipse. Would I want a pump 800gph then? Or one a little higher? (1000gph 1250gph) that's controllable ? Note:I have 2 return nozzles, so it will have to T from one pump

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at some on Amazon. My overflow 800gph eshopps eclipse. Would I want a pump 800gph then? Or one a little higher? (1000gph 1250gph) that's controllable ? Note:I have 2 return nozzles, so it will have to T from one pump
Go dc. Chances are good you won’t actually get near that 800 gph

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I aim for 1000gph dc figuring that
With head height of a few feet you lose flow
The mfg numbers are exaggerated anyway

Above post is correct you really only need around 400

I run my “1096gph” at 45-50%. It works great. I’ve tested it at 5% (feed mode) and 100%
Any setting works fine but…

I find that 40-50% keeps my sump return chamber water level where I want it to be

OP
OP
C

ChunkyBlenny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had expensive name brand pumps before and guess what. The break just like the knock offs, maybe even faster. Now I use a dc return pump from Amazon and its adjustable and works great. It can do up to 1096gph, I run it around 45-50%, bought it for 73$ in 2017 and never had an
May I ask which one you got off Amazon? I think I'll go that route. Thanks

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was from 2017 and is no longer in production. Seems they made newer models that are stronger and have an upgraded controller

This would be the equal I guess, it’s 1320gph max. This would probably be a great model for you with your dual return setup and it has 1000+ reviews many of them are on saltwater reefs

Orlushy DC-5000 Silent Swirl Controllable DC aquarium Pump 40W 1320GPH-marine wavemaker return pump with sine wave Controller for salt/Freshwater coral reef fish tank sump Circulation https://a.co/d/6J5BnHG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back