Advice on T% light or LED

reefwisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 bulbs T5 light setup up on my 40 gallon breeder tank now and now I would like to know if I got the VIspectra T300 LED would I gain any thing as far as lighting goes and corals colors and growth? The lighting coverage on the LED is 32" x 24" at 12" above the aquarium. Should I just stay with my T5 or is it worth the gamble on the LED? The reason I picked this LED is the cost as I dont want to spend a lot of money on lights.

OP
OP
R

reefwisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI bulbs 36" long. Fixtures are 2 36" dual bulbs. 4 total bulbs. 2 Royal blues and 2 10,000K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
U can probably get better growth with the led if u get it tuned in properly but it sure is hard to beat the look of t5 bulbs! I guess it would depend on if you want better results or aesthetics. That's my opinion anyways.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love and use T5's but I would probably switch to the LED you bought simply because the fixture you are using is not anywhere near as good as an ATI. I wouldn't want to buy expensive bulbs only to put them in a fixture that has a meh reflector. ATI fixtures are priced high for a reason.

You can easily shock corals if you are not careful with acclimating to the LED so be careful. They produce a lot of par under them.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 bulbs T5 light setup up on my 40 gallon breeder tank now and now I would like to know if I got the VIspectra T300 LED would I gain any thing as far as lighting goes and corals colors and growth? The lighting coverage on the LED is 32" x 24" at 12" above the aquarium. Should I just stay with my T5 or is it worth the gamble on the LED? The reason I picked this LED is the cost as I dont want to spend a lot of money on lights.
You'll get less spread, and more shading with the LED imo, but the intensity seems pretty good on the fixture you are considering. What about a T5/LED combo ? Might be out of range price point wise, not sure.
I run both , the LED just to bump the intensity a bit and give a dusk /dawn ramping.
Similar as you with softies and some LPS.

OP
OP
R

reefwisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about leaving one of the 2 bulbs fixture on the aquarium where it be in the front or back of the aquarium and the LED and see what happen.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about leaving one of the 2 bulbs fixture on the aquarium where it be in the front or back of the aquarium and the LED and see what happen.
Thats what I've ended up doing as well, 2 T5's in the back half, and the LED strip in front. I Run the LEDs at about 75%. Gives a bit of shimmer to the tank which I like, in combo with the spread of T5.
And since adding the LED I find it has perked up my Nem quite considerably.

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned black box LED before. No way I'd switch from T5 to those.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some seem to like the Orphek light bars for a less expensive alternative as well. Not programmable but they do have a fair amount of punch. Was considering one or two of them, but stock was low pretty much everywhere and the one I ended up purchasing was on sale.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back