Advice on the Red Sea 250 Reefer as a Newbie

KWReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, I'm new to the group and a Newbie to saltwater tanks! I hear this is the place to go for support and advice. I've read a lot of threads regarding the Red Sea Reefer 250, 54 gal and it seems everyone is very pleased with it. I like this one as its rimless and has all the guts (so to speak) kept in the sump in the cabinet out of sight. So here's my first question...

Is this a good tank for a newbie to start off with? I was looking at the smaller all-in-one tank however based on the fish I'd like to keep, Clown, Mimic Saddle Puffer, Dwarf Angel, I need a bigger tank. I also like that it has a top off. I plan to only have live rock, sand and fish.
My second question is at such a high price tag does this tank ever go on sale like for Black Friday etc?

I have been reading a ton and watching multiple youtube videos including ones from BRSTV 52 weeks of Reefing, Mr.Saltwateraquarium.com learning what to do what not to do what is necessary etc. It's time for me to pick out my tank so I can get the Cycling period started!

Thank you in advance for any and all advice you'd like to provide.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
W9JTQym.gif

#WelcometoR2R

COreef8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I think the reefer series tanks are great tanks for beginners, but it does require a bit more research since you're choosing all your own equipment. It sounds like you're already doing a good job of that so you should be off to a great start. I'm not sure how ofthen these go on sale but I know you can find then used fairly often. That is nice because it typically comes with a bunch of other equipment too so it will save you a lot of money if you're flexible with the equipment you want.

krbshappy71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I’m eyeing the Red Sea all in one as well but the larger 73 gallon. If I go any bigger it will have to go in the basement but I don’t want to have to upgrade a year later because I can’t fit what I want. (I don’t plan to do corals)
Are you planning on having corals down the road?

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!, yes the Red Sea 250 is a good choice to start with, it will give you time to learn and enjoy this hobby also take your time! we can all rush and want everything today. Tank has to be cycled first. Plan out what you want, the rock scape is important, there’s plentyof ideas on here or on YouTube for that. Make a list of items like fish you would like and research if compatible with each other. Good luck!

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

I'm not versed in the Red Sea tanks, but that's a fair size to start with. A bit of stability with that much water volume, but also the ability to see the impact of adjustments within hours or days, instead of days or weeks.

I'd search for "Red Sea Reefer 250 Upgrades." Sure that will give you a pretty good idea of what others feel it does well, and what needs improving. If you're doing fish only, you won't need the fancy light. Sump is a little small for my taste.

spockwelcome.jpg

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forums! As others have said, you're on the right track focusing on getting your research done, and bigger tanks do tend to be a good choice for newbies since they 1) allow for more leniency in chemistry swings and 2) it's less likely that you'll want to upgrade soon after. Good luck and looking forward to seeing some more info!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back