Advice to optimize a small sump, skimmer in sump or HOB?

Preferred small sump setup:

• Skimmer HOB on side of sump, use compartment for larger Refugium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Skimmer, refugium only

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Toronto78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advice needed: have a small 65 Gal system, planning a mixed reef system, with a small two compartment sump (see photo attached). The main compartment with inlet and sock is 13x16", the second compartment has the return pump and a ATO tank on top of it (not shown)

How would you setup the sump?

1. Use main compartment for a Protein Skimmer, no refugium
2. Split the main compartment to allow for a skimmer and small refugium (approx. 13" x 3" to 5" deep depending on skimmer footprint)
3. Hang a HOB skimmer over the side of the sump and use the full compartment for a refugium
4. No skimmer, only a refugium.

Thanks!

IMG_8280.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30g sump/refugium and I put the skimmer and return pump in one chamber (and they both run fine that way) and use the second chamber as a fuge with the water coming in through a filter sock.

20191226_120428.jpg

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fuge works fine but it’s too effective for a small system. I ended up completely stripping all the nitrate and phosphate out of the water even at minimal light setting. This resulted in dinos and is generally bad for growth. Still trying to recover from at but I find that the skimmer does just enough to keep me where I like.

OP
OP
Toronto78

Toronto78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30g sump/refugium and I put the skimmer and return pump in one chamber (and they both run fine that way) and use the second chamber as a fuge with the water coming in through a filter sock.

20191226_120428.jpg
Thanks, that seems to be a good alternative. My second chamber is only 6" wide, so may be too narrow

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toronto78

Toronto78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fuge works fine but it’s too effective for a small system. I ended up completely stripping all the nitrate and phosphate out of the water even at minimal light setting. This resulted in dinos and is generally bad for growth. Still trying to recover from at but I find that the skimmer does just enough to keep me where I like.
Very interesting, will certainly set it up to adapt if needed.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back