advise and help drilling my tank

nkelr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as yall know my 110 is in the works. i need someone that has experience drilling tanks. i need the one hole bored from 7\8 to 1 1\4 and i need another 1 1\4 hole drilled in the other corner. the glass is 5\8 thick i think. my local glass shop said he can do it, but i dont trust him and i dont have a way to get it to him just yet. id be willing to compensate if needed. someone please put me in the right direction.

Bri Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 1 1/2" glass hole cutter (fits the smaller bulkheads Fleet Farm sells) but with only 2 holes under my belt I wouldn't drill it, but you could borrow it and try yourself.....

jmkarcz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bri... give me a ref...
...or anyone else out there that got holes from me...

Sent pm. but you need to call me so I can assess what your getting into and the risks involved.

Jason

Bri Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
J, 2 Weeks ago I would have, but I didn't want to keep the referrals coming, unless they were also buying stuff from you.

But yes the 0-Holy one is definitely the way to go Nick.

edit, ps Nick since your starting a new tank build, J's place is the best starting grounds for that lots of parts and ideas in his basement.....

Last edited:

PrisonCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, J has been absolutely awesome to deal with for looting, I mean, buying some of his used stuff. Awesome guy all around for that matter. Never used him myself for drilling, but he has MANY successfully drilled holes under his belt.

jmkarcz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost surprised Nick didn't post pics...he's the proud owner of some monster holes he has to fill now in that tank. He had me put 2 1.25" bulkheads for a drain and one for a return. Thats A LOT of water. I wish him the best of luck, He has a great ambitious plan on his plate and more energy that I have.

Thanks for gas money Nick. The poor boy does not have to beg his wife this week. She thinks your awesome but I think you made me earn it honestly. 3 holes in 5/8" glass in an hour.

Good luck with your build. See you for that skimmer in a day or so.

Thank you guys for the kind words to. I didn't expect so many to chime in!
J

OP
OP
N

nkelr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i figured id wait till i got the overflows build and the sump set up then the pics will come in the build thread. cant stop thanking you enough for the holes. the only thing i wish i would have asked you is to help me get that heavy sob on my work bench. this is the only drawback to having a big tank. I HATE MOVING THEM!!!!!!!! :horse:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back