Advise on what color sand please

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building an 800g FOWLR tank. I have another thread for the build. But for this thread I am asking for advise or opinions on what color sand I should use for the tank. Here is a little info...

The tank is viewable from all sides. The overflows are in columns toward the center. It is 36" tall (stand is 42"). It will house mainly Triggers, Tangs, Angels and Wrasses (and of course a porky puffer :) )

For the aquascape I have cut Marco Rock in blocks and creating a city of ruins based on the ruins of Palmyra. I also made columns out of PVC and covered them in white reef sand.

My goal is to eventually grow Coraline algae on the rock formations. For lighting I am using three Kessil AP9X.

My original thought was to use black sand. I currently have black sand in my temporary tank. I like that it looks different and rather industrial and matches my office decor. But yes I have already had someone clean the tank and scratch the low-e glass. I also like that it has some white sand mixed in (very little) but adds character. My fish do like to move the sand around and it does not create much of any sand storms. And I like that algae on the sand doesn't really show.

On the other hand the color of the fish do not pop that well. So I am thinking of white sand. But I hate when it looks dirty and it will not be an easy job to clean or even stir up. And it will not make my aquascape pop as well. But again, the fish colors do seem to look way better.

On my current tanks I do not have great lighting so I don't know if I can compensate with stronger lights (the Kessils) to help show off the fish colors if black would work well.

And I thought I could mix black and white sand. Either mostly white or mostly black.

Also the stand will be open just like you see in the picture. I will be using black and other colored PVC for the plumbing. The second image is of my office where the tank will be placed.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Opinions?

Thanks

Steve

tanks.jpg

Tank Floor.jpg

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally personal preference, but I always prefer a black sandbed. However, I've always had corals so the black makes them quite vibrant. I'd say in a tank like this it's really just whatever you decide will work, but my take is a black bed could look quite snazzy

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally personal preference, but I always prefer a black sandbed. However, I've always had corals so the black makes them quite vibrant. I'd say in a tank like this it's really just whatever you decide will work, but my take is a black bed could look quite snazzy
Thanks! Yes I struggle with how cool black looks verses just making things as bright as possible with white. Anyone else want to chime in?

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used black substrate on a FOWLR. It was the Caribsea Hawaiian black. I liked it at first but then as time went on I missed white sand look. Tank has that glow with white sand.. Since then I've used Caribsea special grade which is especially good on a fowlr for vacuuming the bottom. No sandstorms. Highly recommended.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I think a Palmyra themed tank would look better with light sand. Obviously, Palmyra is on land but picturing black sand around it just doesn't look right to me.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black sand apparently has tiny magnetic particles in it, which makes it more prone to scratching. We had black sand and went with white in our new tank. No regrets - you get a lot more light reflection and shimmer.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had both and prefer white get a bunch of fighting conchs and it will stay somewhat clean. I have 2 in my 210 and stays clean for about 2 weeks. Obviously in a bigger tank you’d need more. Plus side of conchs shells are hard enough triggers can’t bite through them.

socalfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Sand

IMO in a tank that big you will have tons of flow to avoid buildups and dead zones, a sand that plays nice with a strong current and does not blow apart and create a sand storm every time the fish or wave pump goes hard.

When the lights turn on in a tank with white sand the tank looks much more lively and bright with white sand as opposed to black, white sand amplifies the lighting you provide. if i were going the black sand dark bottom route i would just run a bare bottom no substrate tank with kings star board at the base, you can custom order a sheet for the base of the tank, i went this route to mount wave pumps low and keep the tank super clean.

This Carib Sea Arag alive special stuff is what i use in my nano reef and enjoy it alot. It carries beneficial bacteria factors in avoiding new tank syndrome as well. best of luck! the diamond shape tank looks amazing.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i AM also a fan of the special grade reef sand. my personal choice but have seen some tank with rubble kinda looks cool but not as relaxing as white sand.

yeah the black dose have little pieces that will attach to your magnet and scratch the glass pretty easy. some get awhy with it but if you are having a company clean the tank or office workers that heck NO!

as said above the can go BB with either white or black star board. after some time it will all be purple. but again IMHO does not look as relaxing as white sand.

PS i love this tank! cant wait for you to get her all hooked up been fallowing your build thread.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I think a Palmyra themed tank would look better with light sand. Obviously, Palmyra is on land but picturing black sand around it just doesn't look right to me.
I hear what you are saying and it is a good thought. Palmyra is in the desert! And the structures will get darker as they mature and grow algae.

I was worried about keeping the sand clean. It certainly will not be easy to vacuum. But I have noticed my triggers in the temp tanks moving a lot of sand around. I have a large Goby, and plan to buy more, but he is actually not moving that much around. I have noticed my small dragon wrasse can move lots of sand. So maybe if I plan my stocking list right, I can have enough sand moving fish to keep the white sand clean. :)

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear what you are saying and it is a good thought. Palmyra is in the desert! And the structures will get darker as they mature and grow algae.

I was worried about keeping the sand clean. It certainly will not be easy to vacuum. But I have noticed my triggers in the temp tanks moving a lot of sand around. I have a large Goby, and plan to buy more, but he is actually not moving that much around. I have noticed my small dragon wrasse can move lots of sand. So maybe if I plan my stocking list right, I can have enough sand moving fish to keep the white sand clean. :)
A diamond goby will move the sand quite well. Print out a photo of the ruins of Palmyra and black out the ground with a marker. See what you think. If you have photoshop, you could play around with options that way.

Last edited:

BVF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. Think I’d go white, and add some diamond gobys. I went back and forth on mine and am happy with white Carib-sea Ocean Direct Caribbean live sand. It’s coarser with small shells and very white in color.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. Think I’d go white, and add some diamond gobys. I went back and forth on mine and am happy with white Carib-sea Ocean Direct Caribbean live sand. It’s coarser with small shells and very white in color.
I am nearly convinced with going with white! Now just have to have a plan for keeping it clean! :cool:

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am nearly convinced with going with white! Now just have to have a plan for keeping it clean! :cool:
I think you made the right choice. Black has its perks for some but I think you'd regret it in a month or so. Besides, it could get old answering the same question from clients constantly. ... "Why is the sand black?" ;)

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to change out a FOWLR Predator DT from black sand to white. I've found with time that black sand loses its pop and browns up easily. Special grade white and some Diamond Gobies get my vote.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to change out a FOWLR Predator DT from black sand to white. I've found with time that black sand loses its pop and browns up easily. Special grade white and some Diamond Gobies get my vote.
I'M SOLD. I will do the same!!! Now how many Gobies can I fit in an 800g? They need to be large so the eels don't snack on them. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back