Advised on Building a Sump with Plexiglass

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i got my hands on a few pieces of plexiglass enough to make a replica trigger sump my only concern on this matter is how do yall glue it and water seal plexiglass? i heard you cant use silicone cause it doesnt stick well with plexiglass? i was thinking on ordering some plexiglass glue glueing the plexiglass into the shape i want of the trigger sump and using silicone for the edges but by the looks of it doesnt seal with silicone anyone ever do a project like this?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes People build their own tanks and sumps. It will take a lot of learning on your part on how it is done and some practice.
60sump.jpg

This acticle will get you started

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got some from ebay.
so i got some weldon 4 and bonded 2 pieces together with it completely flush didnt do 24 hr test yet but 12 hour came apart really easy also tried using chloroform and it glued pretty much instantly wonder which product has a stronger hold tho..

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i got some weldon 4 and bonded 2 pieces together with it completely flush didnt do 24 hr test yet but 12 hour came apart really easy also tried using chloroform and it glued pretty much instantly wonder which product has a stronger hold tho..
I was using #16 it's thicker & filled in better. the thinner cement you really need perfect edges to get a good Bond but I'm not a pro either.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The professionals make there own mix. Methylene chloride is the solvent and then various agents are used to slow the work time.
Remember it has to cure.
#4 takes 24 to 48 hours to reach about 80% hardness
Then you need to let it sit for more time.
If you dont then the joint will absorb water faster than the material and you will have issues.

underwaterworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The weldon 4 should have a really tight bond in about 10 min or so but need the 24 hrs to cure fully. Weldon 16 is thicker and I sometimes use it in conjunction with after the weldon 4 has cured 24hrs. That way any if there are any pin hole openings the thicker weldon 16 will fill it in. I built my sump for my 200 gal. about 3 years ago and not one leak (knock on wood).

Back