• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Ae Tech ETSS 1400 Gemini Down Draft Skimmer

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired this skimmer as part of a total system I purchased. I do not have a need for it, but I saw it function and it is a beast! Perfect for a basement filtration room. Recommended pump to drive this bad boy is an Iwaki 70 RLT. I have a used 100 RLT that could be purchased along with it if desired ($75). Rated for tanks between 180-500 gallons. Stands 48 inches tall. I have completely cleaned the unit. Comes with everything you need except for the pump. I even cleaned the bioballs that are suppose to be used in the twin downdraft towers. The is a 2" gate valve included for the effluent. The only problem with this skimmer is that the previous owner apparently operated the bubble tower from the body of the skimmer. He then siliconed it back on. I have spent a little time cleaning the silicone off, but if you has a little bit (very little bit) of experience with acrylic you could sand these edges down and then use perhaps a Weldon 4 and Weldon 16 combo and you will be as good as new. Comes with original paperwork and manual. I am asking $350 for the skimmer for local pick up for if you can meet me somewhere (I love in Indiana). If you would like it shipped it would be additional $75. Likewise if you want the Iwaki 100 RLT that would also be an additional $75 with an additional $30 shipping.
IMG_6244.JPG IMG_6245.JPG IMG_6246.JPG IMG_6247.JPG IMG_6248.JPG IMG_6249.JPG

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll testify – great skimmer. One of the only ones where I'd tolerate thumb screws in this number! :D

You might have to list this with patience until someone with a large system comes along.

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this in person. It's a fantastic skimmer.

Thanks for letting me root around in your stuff @soffutt ... you have a gracious family and a really nice display. I hope you get the big boy set up soon.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this in person. It's a fantastic skimmer.

Thanks for letting me root around in your stuff @soffutt ... you have a gracious family and a really nice display. I hope you get the big boy set up soon.

Thanks for stopping by! Great to find another addict! Looking forward to seeing your 215 in your office!

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll testify – great skimmer. One of the only ones where I'd tolerate thumb screws in this number! :D

You might have to list this with patience until someone with a large system comes along.

mcarroll - so I am seriously consider repair this beast and keeping it for myself. I can plumb my basement up to accommodate. Wouldn't be a big deal at all. In your opinion is this skimmer a keeper????

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll do the job as long as you have a location suitable! :) Can't be afraid of some watts though...it'll take a beast of a pump to drive it. I'd put a MD70 or similar. Can't be afraid of thumb-screws either. I got maintenance down to only unscrewing the neck from the base and then I'd clean the whole neck and cup from the bottom....usually with a hose, but by hand works too.

How broken is it? And do you have the correct Weld On?

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location and pump are fine! I have a 70 RLT and 100 RLT available. As far as how it is broken....the "seam" where the tower meets the black base has come apart. You can see all the guck there in the photos above where the previous owner tried to reseal it. I would sand it all done and use Weldon.....perhaps Weldon 16 (the more gel one).

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan! Getting that silicone off (assuming that's what they used....Grr!!!) will be very important. We had more than one snap like that....it should definitely live to skim another day! :)

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan! Getting that silicone off (assuming that's what they used....Grr!!!) will be very important. We had more than one snap like that....it should definitely live to skim another day! :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence! You mentioned about having more than one snap like mine. Have you owned several of these style skimmers? Thanks again, I very much do value your opinion.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They powered our retail systems for 15+ years. (I worked there for the final 5.) Even repaired one myself. Only acrylic work I've ever done. ;) It's one of only a few patented skimmer designs in the USA so I kinda dig them for that reason. AquaC for the same reason.

The ideal setup will be with the auto-shutoff collector bucket so you only rarely have to disassemble the riser assembly. Tune it to skim wet-but-not-too-wet so the neck stays clean. Then 90% of your maintenance is just emptying the bucket every day or so....every week at most. (Don't let it wait even if it's not full...no reason to allow that smell to develop!) If you get it right, full neck cleanings should be once a month at most....maybe a couple times a year or less.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(You know they can flood, right? Don't bank on no floods with any external skimmer.)

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They powered our retail systems for 15+ years. (I worked there for the final 5.) Even repaired one myself. Only acrylic work I've ever done. ;) It's one of only a few patented skimmer designs in the USA so I kinda dig them for that reason. AquaC for the same reason.

The ideal setup will be with the auto-shutoff collector bucket so you only rarely have to disassemble the riser assembly. Tune it to skim wet-but-not-too-wet so the neck stays clean. Then 90% of your maintenance is just emptying the bucket every day or so....every week at most. (Don't let it wait even if it's not full...no reason to allow that smell to develop!) If you get it right, full neck cleanings should be once a month at most....maybe a couple times a year or less.

I will have to look online for an auto shut off collector. Thanks for the info! When I get this thing going I might hit you up with more questions.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll do the job as long as you have a location suitable! :) Can't be afraid of some watts though...it'll take a beast of a pump to drive it. I'd put a MD70 or similar. Can't be afraid of thumb-screws either. I got maintenance down to only unscrewing the neck from the base and then I'd clean the whole neck and cup from the bottom....usually with a hose, but by hand works too.

How broken is it? And do you have the correct Weld On?

By MD70 -- Do you mean MagDrive?

Also the bioballs that are in the down draft tubes....are they necessary? I cleaned them up as they were gunned up, just not sure whether to put them back in.

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By MD70 -- Do you mean MagDrive?

Also the bioballs that are in the down draft tubes....are they necessary? I cleaned them up as they were gunned up, just not sure whether to put them back in.

Yes you need them that's what breaks up the bubbles.
Put them in a Vinegar bath to clean em up.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back