AEFW on my bonsai?

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had the coral for several months. No new additions to the tank since March (when I added this coral). It has encrusted onto my rocks but has this visible discolouration near the base. Worried they might be bite marks.

What do you think? Photos taken before my lights turned on.

I have a sixline wrasse. Tank is 26 gallons, mixed reef. All other corals seem to be unaffected.

Recommended treatment given it has encrusted?

Thanks!

14ead8319605201fbc552bce609d4b99.jpg

4588d80fd32f311d0a09744fc1a0f502.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the white part shaded from your lights? I have a Tri Color acropora that has a spot that lost color because my lighting doesn't hit it. Or do you have any crabs in your tank? I had an emerald crab that was pinching at my reverse superman montipora, so in the sump he went.

OP
OP
bubblemytip

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is on the side opposite where the flow hits. Maybe it isn't getting enough light or direct flow... Or could vermetid snails cause this? I only have the little ones visible in the photos.

Lighting should be fine. I do not have any crabs. Just a coral boxer shrimp (stenopus hispidus).

Will post a pic of my tank from above to show lighting and pump placement...

Thanks.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to say it does look like AEFWs. If you can, take out your frags and dip them until you don't see the bite marks anymore. Been there, it's not fun:( Took me 3 mths. to get rid of mine. Very nice tank!

OP
OP
bubblemytip

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It started off about a month ago as just a slight discolouration, but when I saw the small circular discolourations that looked like bite marks a few days ago, I thought "Bugger!"

If I cannot easily remove the coral, is there anything I can do that is less destructive? It is just this one coral that shows signs. The sixline must be keeping any flatworms contained, because I have had this coral for several months

Thoughts on KZ flatworm stop? Salifert Flatworm exit?

Thanks again.

OP
OP
bubblemytip

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confirmed AEFW. [emoji35][emoji35]

Hoping I've caught it early enough. Only two 4mm adults came off the coral when I removed and dipped and there is a large clutch of unhatched eggs.

Throwing the bonsai into the fire. [emoji91]

1b7e9721a54e64713884063ca0732d69.jpg

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Salty1962 .I would recommend that you dip all of your Acropora every 3 days.Ideally move them to a established quarantine tank during the treatment.This way you can take large frags off of any colonies that cannot be moved.I do not believe any of those products you mentioned will work.I am sorry.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way to eradicate AEFW is to remove ALL Acropora from your main display into a QT system. Let main display go Acro fallow for 5+ weeks. Dip Acro's in QT 2x a week with Bayer or your choice of dip. This is the only 100% way to be rid of this pest.

OP
OP
bubblemytip

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll probably be going fallow if I notice any more signs during dipping or inspection.

Assume the montipora and stylophora and seriatopora can remain?

I luckily have a cycled quarantine set up but don't have suitable lighting or what I would call by my standards suitable stability systems for it. My frags (about $15ea) cost less than a new light, temp controller, doser, so a bit torn.

Back