Aeolid

uberfugu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Have an outbreak of Aeolid Nudis. Looking for various experiences with their eradication.

I'm doing F/W dips. Thinking about getting a wrasse. Halichores or maybe Pseudocheilinus?

Tank is a 16 gal with a couple of baby percs, zoas, L/R, some stomatella and nassarius

Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks

maroonytunes

Reefing Without Coral
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking them, that's what I did when I had, check them when you get them to, that's what I did wrong when I first started, pick the big ones off, and the eggs, when I had to eradicate them, I ckecked almost each polyp twice a day.

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uber, you can use freshwater iodine dip for about 5 minutes, or salt water double strength iodine for about 15-20 minutes.

I prefer the saltwater dip as it seems to be less stressful to the zoas.

If using Lugols, dose at a rate of 5 drops per 8 ounces. If using tincture of iodine, dose at 10 drops per 8 ounces.

I use the 2x iodine as a general purpose dip for my corals. Use enough dip so that it maintains its color during the dipping. The coral slime will will tend to use up the iodine.

The 2x iodine in saltwater won't kill the nudis, but will stun them so that you can blast them loose with a turkey baster. After the nudis have been removed, check the polyps for the curlycues of eggs. You can pick those off with tweezers, wood skewer, or knife.

Careful of losing your cycle if you have to dip a lot of your live rocks. Another reason for not using fw dip.

Check the zoas weekly and re-dip to catch any newly hatched nudis.

I spent a couple or three weekends several months back helping someone dip tanks and tanks of zoas. The sw/iodine worked well.

As for wrasses, Halichoeres chrysus seems to work well for people.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 104 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back