LPS Diagnosis

willy00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I have a few LPS corals that have been slowly declining in their polyp extension and could use some advice on the best course forward. The coloration on these corals have not changed much, but they went from large fleshy polyps 6 weeks ago to shriveling skeletons. I have a 16 gal AIO tank with single AI blade light on 70% white, 25% royal running 10 hours a peak intensity. No additional flow besides return pump. Running filter floss, no carbon or skimmer. The tank is 7 months old and I perform weekly water changes with red sea salt. Stock is 1 clownfish, 1 tailspot blenny, 1 fire shrimp, several reef hermits, nassarius and trochus snails.
The only thing that has changed in the past 2 months is adding a single branching hammer, so I am curious if this could be related to a bacteria/fungus introduced or a water parameter issue. I do dip new corals with red sea dip. There is a favia frag and some zoas that are unaffected.

Parameters
Salinity 1.026/35
Alk 8.5-9.5
pH 8.2
Nitrate <5 (I don't have low range test kit)
Phosphate unknown
78 deg
Ca/Mg unknown, but i'm assuming within limits of red sea parameters of 430/1310 as this is the only salt I have used and do weekly 20% WC

I appreciate any input!

IMG_3318.JPG IMG_3319.JPG IMG_3317 (1).JPG

Last edited:

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Red Sea salt are you using? Blue bucket or the red coral pro?
Calcium is an important parameter for skeleton corals as well as your shelled inverts and shrimp.
I would look into getting some sort of test kit for that.

Your nutrients seem a little bit low. If you don’t have an algae problem(and for me even if you do) just feed a little more. Your weekly water changes will keep the quality/pollutants in check and it sounds like you have a CUC to handle anything that might come up as far as new algaes.

As far as bacterial infections and otherwise a more experienced reefer may see this and chime in.

Good luck!

OP
OP
W

willy00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Red Sea salt are you using? Blue bucket or the red coral pro?
Calcium is an important parameter for skeleton corals as well as your shelled inverts and shrimp.
I would look into getting some sort of test kit for that.

Your nutrients seem a little bit low. If you don’t have an algae problem(and for me even if you do) just feed a little more. Your weekly water changes will keep the quality/pollutants in check and it sounds like you have a CUC to handle anything that might come up as far as new algaes.

As far as bacterial infections and otherwise a more experienced reefer may see this and chime in.

Good luck!
I appreciate the input, I was planning on getting a calcium test kit. It’s the blue salt mix, but I’ve been considering switching to the red or another brand that has higher alk and trace elements.

miller75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I have a few LPS corals that have been slowly declining in their polyp extension and could use some advice on the best course forward. The coloration on these corals have not changed much, but they went from large fleshy polyps 6 weeks ago to shriveling skeletons. I have a 16 gal AIO tank with single AI blade light on 70% white, 25% royal running 10 hours a peak intensity. No additional flow besides return pump. Running filter floss, no carbon or skimmer. The tank is 7 months old and I perform weekly water changes with red sea salt. Stock is 1 clownfish, 1 tailspot blenny, 1 fire shrimp, several reef hermits, nassarius and trochus snails.
The only thing that has changed in the past 2 months is adding a single branching hammer, so I am curious if this could be related to a bacteria/fungus introduced or a water parameter issue. I do dip new corals with red sea dip. There is a favia frag and some zoas that are unaffected.

Parameters
Salinity 1.026/35
Alk 8.5-9.5
pH 8.2
Nitrate <5 (I don't have low range test kit)
Phosphate unknown
78 deg
Ca/Mg unknown, but i'm assuming within limits of red sea parameters of 430/1310 as this is the only salt I have used and do weekly 20% WC

I appreciate any input!

IMG_3318.JPG IMG_3319.JPG IMG_3317 (1).JPG
You really need to know your missing parameters, I would start with a Phosphate kit. Also raise your Nitrate for lps

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not related, but corals need flow and oxygen too, they will benefit from a powerhead in the tank to move water and help with gas exchange. I would make a bet the corals perk up with water movement.

OP
OP
W

willy00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recalibrated my refractometer and found the salinity to actually be a bit lower at 1.022/.023. Will also be doing an ICP test just to omit user error in testing the other parameters that are unknown. I will keep you all updated with any changes.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again you need to be able to test for phosphate, calcium and magnesium. The coral are probably starving with such low nitrates. My guess is your phosphates are low as well. Magnesium and calcium are consumed by lps, sps and coralline algae. You really need to know the levels. Nitrates 10-15, phosphates .05-.1, calcium 400-450 ang magnesium 1350-1400.

OP
OP
W

willy00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP test results:

Salinity 1.0215
Alk 10.1
pH 8.15
Nitrate 8.3
Phosphate .046
Ca 350
Mg 1307
Other notables
Boron 11.7 (250% of ideal)
Iodine .023 (34% of ideal)

I've been slowing dosing Ca and Mg and coral polyps are improving, I lost one head of the trumpet coral but others seem to be recovering fine. I also rearranged rock work to improve flow around the tank.

Big takeaways are the Ca and Mg levels being slightly lower than ideal for LPS, and I also think I will be ditching the refractometer for a hydrometer. The calibration is so far off that it is useless haha. I will also be switching to a salt mix to get closer to the parameters I want to eliminate need for dosing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back