AF biofil for cycle

collinnelson9

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 30, 2022
Messages
191
Reaction score
120
Location
Rochester
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to see a post on using biofil to speed up the cycling process. I’m using 60ish pounds of af rock in my 80 gallon tank and 80 pounds of arag alive sand.(40 pounds was rinsed bc it was expired) I’m using my go to Microbacter start and Microbacter 7 but on top of that im using 1200 mL of af biofil. My last cycle using Microbacter start and 7 it took around 12 days to cycle. I’ll keep everyone posted.
 
Might have to run out and grab a new ammonia test kit bc it was showing 0 ammonia 2 hours later (salifert). Now testing nitrites (salifert) and it turned a light pink would be more promising if it turned a dark pink. Will be testing nitrates (hanna) soon.
 
The issue is that mb7 is not just nitrifiers but other species that can consume ammonia and not make nitrite.
 
The issue is that mb7 is not just nitrifiers but other species that can consume ammonia and not make nitrite.
Holy smokes it all makes sense now. I thought the ammonia I was dosing to my last 3 cycles was weaker than listed.
 
One of these times I’ll find an accurate ammonia tester. 80 gallon tank 35-40 gallons in the sump dosed 1ml per 4 gallons and dosed for 90 gallons bc of the space taken up by rock and sand. Salifert 0. API 8. Ik api is dog **** at best but 0 is just as bad of a reading. So I did a 10% water change then I’m just gonna let it brew for 5 days.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new