AF Life Source

acabgd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used this with a clam in there tank? I added a 5” maxima and it’s doing great but I’m afraid the life source will clog its inner’s.
My only logic is that there's plenty of sediment and other particles in oceans as well, yet clams don't have an issue. Therefore, at least following this logic, there shouldn't be an issue in our tanks.

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions for all you guys that have used and/or been using the AF Life Source. I just got a bag and planned on using it this evening in my tank for the first time.

Do you guys figure the dosing amount off of your display tank volume or total system volume??
My display is 310 gallons, total system volume is around 370 gallons.

Do you guys turn off your skimmer, return pumps, remove filters socks, turn off UV or anything for a period of time when you dose it??

Is there a dilution ratio for how much tank water to mix in with the mud prior to dosing into the tank? Does it matter? How much water to mud ratio do you guys use??

My tank is 6 months old now, a mix of about 15 frags (mixed reef) and a BTA.

Was thinking to just dose it into high flow areas directly into my tank unless some of you have found better results dosing into a section of the sump…

Thanks for any help, tips, suggestions you guys!

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always calculate anything based on Total system volume. I turn off UV and skimmers. I dose into the flow of my return pump.

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose it once a week into my sump for almost a year. I turn off UV and skimmer for about 3 hrs after dosing. I leave all my power head, return pump on and filter sock in.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Questions for all you guys that have used and/or been using the AF Life Source. I just got a bag and planned on using it this evening in my tank for the first time.

Do you guys figure the dosing amount off of your display tank volume or total system volume??
My display is 310 gallons, total system volume is around 370 gallons.

Do you guys turn off your skimmer, return pumps, remove filters socks, turn off UV or anything for a period of time when you dose it??

Is there a dilution ratio for how much tank water to mix in with the mud prior to dosing into the tank? Does it matter? How much water to mud ratio do you guys use??

My tank is 6 months old now, a mix of about 15 frags (mixed reef) and a BTA.

Was thinking to just dose it into high flow areas directly into my tank unless some of you have found better results dosing into a section of the sump…

Thanks for any help, tips, suggestions you guys!
I use a large pill bottle and add a marble size chunk and shake it well and allow to fully dilute then add to sump slowly

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using life source a few days ago. I am a believer now. Long story incoming :grinning-face-with-sweat:

I started my tank bare bottom with dry rock (will never do that again). I got caught up in the whole biodiversity trend and decided it would be a good idea to start dosing different bottle bacteria's and force the diversity. 1 year later and it has seemed to have a very negative effect on my tank. With stable parameters and regular icp testing I could not grow coral. They stay alive and have good color, just no growth. This is my 10th year in reefing and have had several successful tanks. This was the biggest crap show tank yet.

My theory is by dosing all these bottle bacterias eventually the most aggressive becomes dominant and I believe it is some kind of strain that my corals did not take a liking too. Looking back at my older tanks and the process it always seemed to take a number of months (sometimes only weeks) until I would see sps color up and grow. I can only think this is due to a specific strain(s) of bacteria that eventually dominate and the tank continues on to maturity. Either that strain is not in your typical bottled bacteria or one of those popular brand bottle bacterias contained some kind of aggressive bacteria only good for denitrifying but not necessarily good for coral consumption(coral have only a diet for specific strains and not others?). THIS OF COURSE IS MY THEORY just from what I have witnessed this past year. I have an hunch which brand might have had the bad bacteria.

Another thing I noticed in my tank is that I always had cloudy water for nearly 8 months. Nothing cleared it up including a reef mat, powerful protein skimmer, and even multiple size uv sterilizers. A search seemed to show I mush have been the only person where a UV sterilizer did not help. Adding a few kilos of biomedia was the only thing that seemed to help until the dosing of AF life source.

So this brings me to AF life source. Several days ago I dose the full amount recommended for my tank. The next day water was crystal clear and every single coral was fluffed. Today I am noticing deeper colors in my stagnant sps and have no doubt they are finally on their way to enjoying life. I tried introducing rubble rock and additional pieces of live rock to my system and nothing worked. It seemed it was just not enough to over come the mess I made. AF life source makes sense in my case. Dosing it at regular intervals to get the most natural biodiversity in the mud to dominate seems to work. Even my fish seem to be a lot happier.

I think some might not see a drastic difference because they may not have the same issues I have and already have a very mature beneficial bacteria population in place. I will for sure keep an eye on the progress and try to update.

RockyMountainReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using life source a few days ago. I am a believer now. Long story incoming :grinning-face-with-sweat:

I started my tank bare bottom with dry rock (will never do that again). I got caught up in the whole biodiversity trend and decided it would be a good idea to start dosing different bottle bacteria's and force the diversity. 1 year later and it has seemed to have a very negative effect on my tank. With stable parameters and regular icp testing I could not grow coral. They stay alive and have good color, just no growth. This is my 10th year in reefing and have had several successful tanks. This was the biggest crap show tank yet.

My theory is by dosing all these bottle bacterias eventually the most aggressive becomes dominant and I believe it is some kind of strain that my corals did not take a liking too. Looking back at my older tanks and the process it always seemed to take a number of months (sometimes only weeks) until I would see sps color up and grow. I can only think this is due to a specific strain(s) of bacteria that eventually dominate and the tank continues on to maturity. Either that strain is not in your typical bottled bacteria or one of those popular brand bottle bacterias contained some kind of aggressive bacteria only good for denitrifying but not necessarily good for coral consumption(coral have only a diet for specific strains and not others?). THIS OF COURSE IS MY THEORY just from what I have witnessed this past year. I have an hunch which brand might have had the bad bacteria.

Another thing I noticed in my tank is that I always had cloudy water for nearly 8 months. Nothing cleared it up including a reef mat, powerful protein skimmer, and even multiple size uv sterilizers. A search seemed to show I mush have been the only person where a UV sterilizer did not help. Adding a few kilos of biomedia was the only thing that seemed to help until the dosing of AF life source.

So this brings me to AF life source. Several days ago I dose the full amount recommended for my tank. The next day water was crystal clear and every single coral was fluffed. Today I am noticing deeper colors in my stagnant sps and have no doubt they are finally on their way to enjoying life. I tried introducing rubble rock and additional pieces of live rock to my system and nothing worked. It seemed it was just not enough to over come the mess I made. AF life source makes sense in my case. Dosing it at regular intervals to get the most natural biodiversity in the mud to dominate seems to work. Even my fish seem to be a lot happier.

I think some might not see a drastic difference because they may not have the same issues I have and already have a very mature beneficial bacteria population in place. I will for sure keep an eye on the progress and try to update.
Any update on this?

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on this?

So far so good. My montis are coloring up nicely. What I have really noticed is my bubble gum digitata starting to take off. It is getting all the neon greenish yellow at the tips along with noticeable white tip growth. It was previously just all orange. The tips look like teeth lol. I just placed some tester acros in the tank yesterday to see how those will do.

Most every lps coral is having less days of where they would just be a little closed.

I have dosed it about 3 times now and every time the next day the water is crystal clear and coral are jamming out. It almost makes me want to dose it everyday but I know better.

I love this stuff.

20230717_193340.jpg

RockyMountainReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good. My montis are coloring up nicely. What I have really noticed is my bubble gum digitata starting to take off. It is getting all the neon greenish yellow at the tips along with noticeable white tip growth. It was previously just all orange. The tips look like teeth lol. I just placed some tester acros in the tank yesterday to see how those will do.

Most every lps coral is having less days of where they would just be a little closed.

I have dosed it about 3 times now and every time the next day the water is crystal clear and coral are jamming out. It almost makes me want to dose it everyday but I know better.

I love this stuff.

20230717_193340.jpg
Wow impressive. I’m doing bare bottom. Dry rock that was cooked for a year and live rock rubble. I think I will try this to help seed Biome

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless there is a specific reason you need bare bottom such as high flow for acros, I would do sand. I don't think I will ever go bare bottom again even if I set up a small frag tank. The bottom gets nasty looking and scraping it is way harder than scraping the side glass. From this last tank I think its just not worth the hassle and limits surface area for the potential biodiversity.

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless there is a specific reason you need bare bottom such as high flow for acros, I would do sand. I don't think I will ever go bare bottom again even if I set up a small frag tank. The bottom gets nasty looking and scraping it is way harder than scraping the side glass. From this last tank I think its just not worth the hassle and limits surface area for the potential biodiversity.
I run bare bottom tank with GSP to cover the bottom. I think it look nice ;) but watch out for the GSP, once it start growing, it will grow like weed.

Attachments

• 20221011_192250 (1).jpg
    20221011_192250 (1).jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 66

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back